Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard breaking news about a plane crash in Manhattan. No details yet. Anybody hear anything. I pray there's nobody hurt. :pray:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Plane Crashes Into Hudson River

Watercraft are converging on a US Airways plane that is half-submerged in the Hudson River off the West 50's of Manhattan.

According to television news, the plane apparently took off from LaGuardia Airport and was bound for Charlotte, N.C. and had 146 passengers and 5 crew members. The plane, according to the news report, may have hit a bird or birds. The pilot tried to return to the airport when the plane fell into the Hudson.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I just heard that on the radio, and it scared the crap out of me since my dad is flying home today. Luckily his flight leaves later this evening.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Fox News said they've been told everyone on the plane is alive and got off the plane...the pilot landed that plane like it was a runway.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Next time they give that seat as a flotation device speech, we should all pay a little more attention.

Not a nice day in NYC for a swim but it looks like no significant injuries.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
MidwestGirl said:
They all better get a tetanus shot :laugh:
You are so right.

Been watching on NBC. The pilot hit multiple geese, they think both engines. He tried to get to Teterboro (sp) airport in NJ but couldn't so downed the plane on the Hudson River just across from about 50th street in Manhattan. Everyone made it out.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
MidwestGirl said:
Oh...ewwwwwww!

I honestly think I'd be more scared of touching that water than the plane crashing. :vomit:

Glad everyone is ok. Holy smokes!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Glad everyone is ok!!

But man, that must have been some frigid water.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Unfortunately bird hits happen, and this plane got hit in both engines! They are saying that a "flock" of geese flew right into the engines...dangerous and messy! SU was at the scene today.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
dipete said:
AmazonGold said:
Thank You, God! That pilot deserves a medal for this.
And a very nice raise!! Wow what a fantastic job he did!
I heard he was a pilot since 1980 with 19,000 hours and a former A-4 jockey. Experience is always a good thing when the **** geese hit the fan.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Retriever Mama said:
MidwestGirl said:
Oh...ewwwwwww!

I honestly think I'd be more scared of touching that water than the plane crashing. :vomit:

Glad everyone is ok. Holy smokes!
Actually - the water there is subject to such a fierce current it is really not all that terribly polluted. The East River, on the other hand, can eat through just about anything.

The pilot sure did make the right decision - Teterboro is tiny airport in a very densely populated area. (I drove right by it yesterday) That size plane would be hard pressed to land there successfully.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts