Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of those people that never remembers dreams. Lately though I have been remembering a lot of them, and unfortunately they are not good. Car accidents, people I love dying, etc. But there is one that I've had 2 times now that is really wigging me out. I dreamed that someone cut off my dog's heads and left them for me to find in my yard. I won't go into graphic details, but basically in these dreams I am going outside to get the dogs to take them for walks or something and when I go out, someone has left my gate open in the backyard. I panic because the dogs are not in the yard and when I run around to the front of the house, that's when I discover their heads. I am hysterical in the dreams and when I wake up, I feel completely depressed and drained emotionally.

The dream is so unrealistic. I have no fence around my yard (we have an e-fence around our acre lot), and I don't leave my girls outside unsupervised. So I don't understand what it is that's going on in my subconscious . I just know that it really sucks and I'm very perplexed at why these dreams are occurring. A while back I was having bad dreams about spiders always crawling on my bed or in SU's ears and stuff. Those were bad too...I always thought I was awake. But those stopped happening a while ago.

I am really stressed out atm with an upcoming surgery I will be undergoing (hysterectomy on April 18th) but I don't see what that has to do with my dogs being decapitated.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I am SO, so sorry this is happening to you. Dreams like this are the worst. They can ruin your entire day, maybe more.

That story a while back about the Aussie was so disturbing. I had bad dreams too, after reading it.

I think it means nothing...just that the story imprinted on your subconscious and is bothering you so much you are trying to make sense of it in your sleep.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I would say it's a combination of things. The dream is probably from the news story but your remembering them because your stressed and not sleeping as deep as normal. I normally remember my dreams if I wake up abruptly during one. I hope you get a good nights sleep soon.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having such awful dreams. I find that I often dream about something I'd been thinking about during the day or right before bed. Maybe find a funny, happy book and read a little of that before bed?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Transferrance? You definitely can get bad dreams if you have a stressful event coming up, and maybe your mind is transferring your anxiety about your surgery to you dogs as a way of dealing with it indirectly? I have no experience with psychology, but the thought occurred to me as I read your post.

Maybe if you examine your feelings about the surgery (as regarese first mentioned) you might be able to stop those dreams. I like Midwestgirl and bibber's suggestions too, put yourself in the right state of mind before bedtime.

On a side note, it's amazing how real or dreams can seem, and how they can affect our mood even after we're awake and know that it wasn't real.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
First of all, I want to say how sorry I am that you are experiencing these dreams. :( They must be horrible. :(

I don't know much about you, only that you have two beautiful (one added fairly recently) dogs and that your husband/partner posts here, too. Right? Also, I am no psychologist, but do you think there might be some correlation between your dogs (furkids) and your hysterectomy? I had a friend who was well into her 40's, mother of two, who had a radical hysterectomy last year. She told me that in the weeks leading up to her surgery, she had near panic attacks thinking about the fact that she would no longer be able to have children. (It should be noted, here, that she had NO desire to have any more children up to this point.)

Do you see the point I am trying to make? As morbid/odd as it sounds?

Again, I am so sorry you are going through this. Take care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts