Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH & I went to Pizza Hut for pizza and opted out for the pasta. The new Lasagna that they have been advertising looked good and I love Bacon Mac & Cheese so I tried that. Both products were excellent! However, (here comes the but) the portions were so small that my husband was still hungry. We didn't get a salad and the meals come with 2 pieces of garlic bread and putting aside 1/3 of mine for the girls, the portions were very cheap. What has your experience been with them? Also for $7.99 and $7.29 way, way over priced for no more than you get.

So who out there has an opinion on their pastas??:)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Considering you can make your own pasta so cheaply, it's a huge ripoff. Like popcorn at the movies. Pasta itself is incredibly cheap, so unless it is a chef making it in some new & creative way, or it is smothered in fresh Nova Scotian seafood, I don't order pasta.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I haven't tried them and I visit Pizza Hut quite a lot (the joys of being a student!). I guess I'd feel odd about ordering anything other than a pizza in a pizza place!

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I've tried it. I thought it was pretty good. We ordered it at the bank for dinner one night when we were staying late. I didn't even know they had individual sizes.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We had the chicken alfredo as a take out, and that "extra large" size was enough for Bill and I and one serving left over. Definitely NOT a big enough portion for what you pay, although it was good. I can make just as good with some grilled chicken breast, a box of Dreamfields pasta, and a jar of alfredo sauce, much more for much less $$.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
These threads always interest me. I just don't get it when people say they won't eat a particular food for some reason (easy to make, I make it better, etc.). I just don't get that. I think Shanna has brought this up before.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Why eat average, generic food at an average, generic restaurant if you can make it better at home or you can dine at a restaurant with some individuality and excellent food? It's not so much about not eating a particular food as it is choosing to not settle for mediocrity in dining. This is not to say that excellent food means expensive. But why settle for Pizza Hut, when there are better options available to you?

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Why eat average, generic food at an average, generic restaurant if you can make it better at home or you can dine at a restaurant with some individuality and excellent food? It's not so much about not eating a particular food as it is choosing to not settle for mediocrity in dining. This is not to say that excellent food means expensive. But why settle for Pizza Hut, when there are better options available to you?

exactly. this is why I almost never eat meals that aren't prepared by myself or my husband or my family.

Going out is a treat and expensive and it has to be better or a different experience than what I can prepare myself.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
If a friend said "Hey, I'm going to Fazoli's for lunch, want to meet me?" I'm not going to say "no" just because it's "average, generic" food.

I guess I just don't get it. Eating is eating, we have to do it and if you can enjoy with friends so be it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice meal, but I'm just not that particular.

I think it boils down to enjoyment. I get little enjoyment from food. I'd rather do any number of things than sit somewhere to eat. I'm not trying to pick on you all who are completely repulsed by Pizza Hut, I'm just saying that whole concept is foreign to me.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
exactly. this is why I almost never eat meals that aren't prepared by myself or my husband or my family.

Going out is a treat and expensive and it has to be better or a different experience than what I can prepare myself.
See, that seems sad to me. I'm sure it doesn't to you, but it goes to show how different people can view some things.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I haven't tried the pasta there yet. We go once in a while from work for the lunch buffet. They have ziti w/marinara at the buffet, but not the specialty pasta.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
What can possibly be sad about enjoying good food with good friends or family? An excellent meal is just as easy to make as a mediocre one. To my way of thinking, it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
What can possibly be sad about enjoying good food with good friends or family? An excellent meal is just as easy to make as a mediocre one. To my way of thinking, it's a no brainer.
Nothing, but that's not what I said. What's wrong with average food with good friends or family?

My point is I've eaten at places I don't even like. For me, it's not really about the food. Like I said, I guess it's based on the emphasis, and for me, I just don't put that much emphasis on the food.

I'm sure the fact that I don't care what I eat is equally as confusing to you. That's sort of what I was getting at - it's interesting how people view the whole eating thing.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
not sad at all.

I just don't want to eat at generic fast food restaurants.

We went to lunch last Sunday. A treat for us. We chose a small Irish pub that makes yummy homeade food based on Irish classics.
I had fish and chips, something that I would never prepare at home that were fresh, perfectly fried and came with homemade sweet potato fries and homemade coleslaw. The ketchup and tartar sauce was served in canning jars and both were made by the restaurant. Unbelievalbly delicious and fresh. Add 2 pints of beer and the tab was far less than I would have spent at a fast food restaurant with fries and a large super size coke.
It isn't about gourmet it is about whatever I eat has to be quality.

If a friend invited me out to McDonalds? I wouldn't decline but I would have a coffee and enjoy my friends company....sans the food.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I understand. Some people view eating as a basic biological necessity, while some elevate it to something of a ritual. For me, it's something of the latter, especially if I'm cooking. There's nothing better than the planning of the menu, shopping for the ingredients, preparing the meal and pairing it with the perfect wine and sharing it with the people close to me. It becomes an event, an experience to linger over. To me, it's not just about eating, it's about experiencing, sharing and socializing.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I understand. Some people view eating as a basic biological necessity, while some elevate it to something of a ritual. For me, it's something of the latter, especially if I'm cooking. There's nothing better than the planning of the menu, shopping for the ingredients, preparing the meal and pairing it with the perfect wine and sharing it with the people close to me. It becomes an event, an experience to linger over. To me, it's not just about eating, it's about experiencing, sharing and socializing.
That's it. I think "sad" was a poor word choice on my part. Still, I think it's interesting how people can view the same act (eating) so completely differently. I didn't mean to suggest you're wrong for thinking Pizza Hut is crap. I certainly don't think it's the best food you can eat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts