Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried every attempt to get get Bandit to take his pills. He always finds them and spits them out or he chews them and he starts foaming at the mouth. Now whenever he sees the bottle he runs away from me. Any ideas? TIA!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried just putting it in the back of his mouth and gently stroking his throat to make him swallow, this will work but I wish I had an easier way bc he really fights me when I do that.

I have tried:
-cheese (ate the cheese and spit out the pill)
-hot dogs (which he threw up)
-crushing them in applesauce (just smelled it)
-crushing them in hamburger meat (tasted it but thats all)
-and just about any food that I feel is safe to give him.
if he can smell the pills he won't eat it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
With some pills the only way I can get Cinder to eat them is to put them in a small piece of bread with peanut butter on it. The pill sticks in the middle like a small peanut butter and pill sandwich, and she just swallows. Sometimes with cheese or lunch meat it's too easy to separate them, and then, patooie, out comes the pill. The vet can also give you a pill popper which is what I had to use with Ralphie, my pug, when he needed medicine. It's like a syringe that you put the pill into the end of and then push the plunger after you insert it into the back of their mouth. He was pissed about it though. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try the peanut butter bread first and if that doesn't work I'll talk to the vet about the pill popper.
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I dip my dogs in peanut butter, he thinks they're treats now. Eats them without thinking so as I can give with PB now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
widespot said:
I dip my dogs in peanut butter, he thinks they're treats now. Eats them without thinking so as I can give with PB now.
Oh you mean the pills. LOL! just kidding!
I thought that was cute, dont mind me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! Im gonna try the PB tonight hopefully this one works. I just hope he doesn't chew it up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,514 Posts
You may have to be quick and crafty. My boy is a chewer of his food, so unlike the others! So he tends to chew what I give him and if he finds the pill out it comes. My others would quickly grab up that pill and eat it, no questions asked, so I have to be very careful to get them down him very fast.

I use cheese. Very small piece. Then I have several bigger chunks. Cheese he tends to gobble down faster. So I stuff a little one with the pill and give it and just as fast as that sucker hits his tongue I am tossing AT him other pieces of cheese. Then he knows he has to catch and eat fast. This usually works. But again I do this with him ALONE otherwise if he does drop the one with the pill the others do not get it.

You may need a pill popper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cinderbaylabs said:
You may have to be quick and crafty. My boy is a chewer of his food, so unlike the others! So he tends to chew what I give him and if he finds the pill out it comes. My others would quickly grab up that pill and eat it, no questions asked, so I have to be very careful to get them down him very fast.

I use cheese. Very small piece. Then I have several bigger chunks. Cheese he tends to gobble down faster. So I stuff a little one with the pill and give it and just as fast as that sucker hits his tongue I am tossing AT him other pieces of cheese. Then he knows he has to catch and eat fast. This usually works. But again I do this with him ALONE otherwise if he does drop the one with the pill the others do not get it.

You may need a pill popper.
I think you're right, I just tried pb bread and pb alone he still chewed it up and once again foaming at the mouth. Guess I'll call the vet and see if I can get a pill popper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Haven't had to give Apollo any pills yet. But my ferrets need pills from time to time. I crush up the pill, mix it with a liquid ferret vitamin (for dogs you could use a teaspoon of olive oil) I mix the pill poweder with the liquid vitamin and I suck it up into a small 3ml syringe and squirt it into the ferret's mouth. Perhaps this might work with your dog?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
The best thing that we found were pill pockets you can get them at petsmart. they are excellent. the dog will just think its a treat and it will be gone without him realizing there was even a pill in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,622 Posts
cinderbaylabs said:
You may have to be quick and crafty. My boy is a chewer of his food, so unlike the others! So he tends to chew what I give him and if he finds the pill out it comes. My others would quickly grab up that pill and eat it, no questions asked, so I have to be very careful to get them down him very fast.

I use cheese. Very small piece. Then I have several bigger chunks. Cheese he tends to gobble down faster. So I stuff a little one with the pill and give it and just as fast as that sucker hits his tongue I am tossing AT him other pieces of cheese. Then he knows he has to catch and eat fast. This usually works. But again I do this with him ALONE otherwise if he does drop the one with the pill the others do not get it.

You may need a pill popper.
Just what I was going to suggest.......give several treats at once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
foster said:
The best thing that we found were pill pockets you can get them at petsmart. they are excellent. the dog will just think its a treat and it will be gone without him realizing there was even a pill in it.
Ooo I have never seen those, I 'll check it out. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
I use cream cheese. I scoop a little onto the handle end of a fork or spoon, smoosh it down onto the pills and sitck it to roof of Dexter's mouth. He doesn't blink, just swallows. I can give 3-4 pills at once with no problem. Dex likes it so much that he immediately starts drooling all over the place when he sees the cream cheese container come out of the fridge.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top