Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't ride today, I just took the shedding blade to the three of them. My goodness there was a lot of hair coming off of them!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
They are looking good. I cannot believe the difference in Toby since you got him. Can you please post a before and after photo.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
The shedding blade - is that the looped metal comb with the razor sharp teeth on it? Also called a curry comb? Someone at our ag store recommended I use it when Paddy was young. WRONG! I nicked him and myself so badly I put the darned thing into hiding. But it isn't meant for doggie hides, is it.

Toby looks good. :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is Toby at his old home.

This is Toby after he had been with me a couple of days

A couple of weeks

Here he is after I had him a month

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
The shedding blade - is that the looped metal comb with the razor sharp teeth on it? Also called a curry comb? Someone at our ag store recommended I use it when Paddy was young. WRONG! I nicked him and myself so badly I put the darned thing into hiding. But it isn't meant for doggie hides, is it.

Toby looks good. :)
Curry combs are only for cleaning brushes Nance.

They used to be metal, and anybody that read the Black Beauty stories will know that some BaD people used them on BB's coat - V Naughty !

Nowadays they tend to be plastic and Gulliver loves a rub with them as it's like a back scratch but he's recently had a new dandy brush and that's almost as good !

Gets the mud off brilliantly

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what I use, Nance.

None of the horses seem to mind it and each of them likes different pressure while being groomed. I'm just careful of how much I do and how hard. I pay attention to ears when I'm doing it. They'll let you know if you're being heavy handed.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love my Oster brushes

My mane/tail brush

Course curry comb

Fine curry comb (for legs and face)

Plus I have the Oster medium bristle and fine bristle brushes.

Some people consider this a curry comb

Like Colin said, they're just used to clean the brushes. I don't use it on the horse.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's still very dirty, but I'll have him clean at least one time this summer once I can bathe him. It's still in the 40's here and much too cold for a bath. Then, since he's a roller, I'll have to be quick to get pictures of him clean. He'll be rolling within minutes of being back in the pasture of paddock I'm sure.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
What a transformation in Toby!! Life is so different when you're loved/cared about.

What is the dark on him in the before pics? Is that dirt?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Great pics. :)
Looks like he's getting along OK with at least one of the mares (in that 4th pic). Are they starting to accept him more?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
What about the hard brush & soft brush? (dandy brush) and your hoof pick? Mane comb?You have to be coordinated, you know. All Liv's stuff is purple =)

I use a shedding blade on Angus all the time. Cheaper than a furminator & works exactly the same.

Toby looks awesome under your care!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Wow - you're my idol. Not only are all your dogs enough to have to brush...but I hadn't thought about the horses! I can only imagine the hair. Holy cow....!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts