Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our 6 year old black lab has become the pickiest eater. she will eat the food for about a week and then stop. she'll eat when she gets hungry but she turns her nose up at it first. we are trying to find a food that she likes that is somewhat soft but are having problems.

any suggestions? thanks.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Have you tried any of the Pinnicle or Taste of the Wild formulas? We have our two girls on Pinnicle Trout and Sweet Potato and my sister-in-law has her two chocolates on TOTW. All four dogs are doing well and are good eaters. I know you can get Pinnicle in either dry or canned types here in NM.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If she's on an open bowl I would recommend switching to schedule feeding, i.e. 2 cups in the morning, 2 cups at night; amount depending on activity level. If you already schedule feed, try reducing her ration.

My oldest (Whiskey 12) was on an open bowl schedule prior to me adopting him from the breeder. He was a picky eater for about the first week, when he quickly realized that I was the person determining when he was going to eat, not him.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the suggestions. she use to be on a schedule (morning, noon, and evening) but when she started sticking her nose up at everything, we just left the food in her bowl until she got hungry. i might go to petco and get a TOTW. thanks again.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Abbey's had good luck with TOTW but she's also a picky eater, so sometimes she goes through phases where she will be finicky and not eat a meal here or there. This is especially normal for her in the summer.

Instead of switching up her food, you might just try to give her the food and if she doesn't eat it in say, 10 minutes, pick it up and that's it until the next meal time. Don't give in..even if its for a couple of days. She'll eat when she's hungry. This worked for Abbey pretttty well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts