Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the other thread about getting your dog to pick up it's toys has got me wanting to teach them to do this. What do you suggest for a command? My dogs don't hold things in their mouth, so the first thing I am going to teach them is "hold it". I don't know what to do next.They will "bring it" if I send them to get their ball or bone and bring in the house. I don't want to do too many commands at once, like hold it, bring it, drop it. I'd like one to mean go get the toy and put it in the basket. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Well that's a good question. Sadie as most Labs was a fast learner but also she can be hard headed!! She would fetch, bring and drop it or hold it. Then she has those moments where she has "it" but won't give "it" just runs by me or taunts me.

So we have the commands:
Fetch it
Drop it
Hold it
Leave it

good luck!!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer already knew the names of his toys, and knew what to do when I told him, "Go get your duck." When he brought the duck, I would stand behind the toy box and tell him to drop it. Because of where I was standing, he just naturally dropped it in the box. When he dropped it in the box, I would say, "Clean up your toys. Go get your squirrel . . . " It took a long time, because we had to go through each toy individually. Eventually, I stopped telling him what to get, and just told him to clean up his toys . . . and he would get all of them. The problem with this method is that he only picks up things that have names. His Nylabones, marrow bones, etc. don't have names . . . and he doesn't pick them up. :whatever:

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Kassa loved to do this. she would go around and pick up the retrieve toys at the dog club. lol.
Erns is o.k. but takes time.

I get them to retrieve toys and say get toy. This I used if I wanted her to get a toy she left outside. Or sometimes if I wanted something and couldn't be bothered moving I would point to it and say get toy. She would bring me the remote, or phone or whatever I pointed at.

Then I would get the basket i have their toys in and say get your toy. Put in basket.
At first they drop them around the basket and anywhere. I would say drop in basket and hold the basket under the toy. The toy would drop into the basket and I would go over board with praise and nice treats. Do it for the next toy and so on until all picked up. I would say pick up toys and Kass would run around the house, carry them to her toy basket and drop them in. Took me about 2 days to teach her this.

Erns is either very thick or very clever. He still waits for me to get the basket and put it under the toy. If I treat him he wont go and get any. I pick up all the toys saying put in basket.
He stands there grinning with a dumb look. Thanks for picking up my toys Mum.
If I dont treat he picks them up until I do, or gets fed up with it and sits and waits for the treat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.