Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my hubs discovered a lump on Phoebe's chest the other day...I took her to the vet this morning and had her look at it. She suspected just a fatty lump but we were given 2 options as to what to do...

Option a) Remove the lump under general anesthetic (it's attached to the muscle so she said she'd need a general) ...more expensive but we do have insurance to cover 70% of the procedure, minus a $100 deductible

OR

Option b) Cheaper - have the lump checked by extracting some cells with a needle and getting those examined...would end up being about 1/2 the price of the other.

Here's the thing with us right now...not much longer until we're having a baby, so in terms of surgery, it's not the best timing. But we still want to do what's best for her. We could test and find out and then decide to go ahead with the surgery...if it's malignant we'd have to do that right away obviously. :( But if not, we could wait and see. The vet said it will grow, though, and my hubby wonders if it's just better to get it over with and take it out right away while she's young and healthy and can handle surgery quite well......rather than it growing a lot and then us having to make a decision to take it out later on.

Any thoughts on this? What would you do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,489 Posts
I'm sorry, this is really bad timing for you. IMO, since you are having a new baby in a couple of weeks, I think I'd do the test for now. I don't know how I'd care for a dog after surgery and a toddler and a new baby all at the same time. It'd be tough. I think it's perfectly understandable if you want to wait a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
I would go for b. Otis had a lump we were worried about and our vet was able to poke it with the needle right there in his office and let us know immediately that it was just a lipoma. He said there's no need to remove those unless they are in a location that would cause the dog problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
Becca, if it's a fatty tumor I wouldn't do a thing. You can tell if it is - it'll be mushy and you can move it around a bit. Tucker has had one for years now, my vet recommended not doing anything with it unless it gets large enough to bother him. It's harmless. Currently it's about the size of a golf ball and isn't getting any bigger. He's got another one now, smaller, but again I'm not going to do anything with it at the moment.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
I agree. Get it tested and at least then you know what you are dealing with. Why go through the risk of surgery if it may never be necessary and especially if it would be such bad timing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,676 Posts
They charge you to asperate the cells? My vet checks on the lumps on Rider all of the time. She sticks a needle in draws out some cells and looks at them under a micro-scope...part of the regular check up. Always end up being fatty lipomas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,276 Posts
I'd aspirate it. I like to have all lumps and bumps at least aspirated, like Dani said it's super easy and fast. Prayers it's just the lipoma it seems to be!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
Option b) Cheaper - have the lump checked by extracting some cells with a needle and getting those examined...would end up being about 1/2 the price of the other.
Tuck had his shots in March so i've JUST been through this.. he has 3 distinct lumps.. i was worried but the vet said labs are notorious for these fatty lumps and to not worry.. she did the needle thing and checked the cells.. cost about $60 i think? And test results in minutes with the all clear.

I'd go with that option.. she said checking surgery wasn't necessary especially because labs are so prone to these fatty masses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,345 Posts
I think, under the circumstances, I would also go for the test. If it is a fatty tissue, then I'd just keep an eye on it and let it go, at least for now. If it is something more serious, then I'd go ahead and have the surgery. Definitely agree no need in outting them under anesthesia unless absolutely necessary.

Holding a good thought and a prayer for Phoebers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,429 Posts
I would just do the needle biopsy. Last month I had a lipoma removed from Mitzi's neck/shoulder area at the time she was out for a tooth extraction because it may have been uncomfortable for her if it got bigger. If I had it to do over again, I would not have had it done - just the necessary tooth extraction. It was so hard to keep her from scratching her stitches. I tried everything but she always managed to get that back leg up there to scratch until it was bloody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. I think given the timing, we're going to get it aspirated and see what happens. We'll go from there...
Besides, we don't need both me and Jeebies going under the knife over the course of the next couple of weeks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,445 Posts
Thanks guys. I think given the timing, we're going to get it aspirated and see what happens. We'll go from there...
Besides, we don't need both me and Jeebies going under the knife over the course of the next couple of weeks!
Exactly. I'm hoping the lump is nothing serious and won't require any anesthesia!!

Are you getting excited for your new baby yet, Becca??
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top