Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have our own personal tiny red rooster to wake us up every morning at exactly 5 o'clock. ;D Our bamboo is just outside our bedroom window and there are all kinds of birds nesting in there (it's so thick and lush!). There's a cardinal couple living in there and the male is the first to wake everyday. It will be totally quiet outside and then we hear "Whhhhht Whhhhhhht Whhhhhhhht" and it's loud! He goes on singing himself silly for about a 1/2 hour until the other birds wake up. I love it. :D

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
The Cardinals loved nesting in our stand at the duplex... we had the really tall stuff like you have now. Cards and Mocking Birds. Right outside out bedroom window, too. Very sweet wakeup call. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cards and Mocking Birds.
There are others living in there too Nance. I wonder if they're mocking birds. I'll have to google and see what they look like. :)

D

·
0 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
Cards and Mocking Birds.
There are others living in there too Nance. I wonder if they're mocking birds. I'll have to google and see what they look like. :)
They are gray with white under the wings. Comparitively long tail feathers and long legs. They are pretty aggressive with other species.

I have mockingbirds waking me daily as well - they sit on my chimney and the sound comes out the fireplace! One male starts singing at about 4:30 am.

Interestingly, they stop singing totally in mid summer. Never quite understood why. They have not left, just stopped the morning aria.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are gray with white under the wings. Comparitively long tail feathers and long legs.
OK, I've definitely seen them at the feeder.

J

·
0 Posts
Wow, you guys have birds? Molly scares them all away, and she's caught a few too. :'(

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Deezledog wrote
They {mockingbirds} are pretty aggressive with other species.
I wouldn't describe them as aggressive, not like blue jays, :eek: but they are mighty bold! They don't scare off easily. I think the reason they are that bold is they like to get in close to hear the sound they are going to imitate next. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Paddysmom said:
Deezledog wrote
They {mockingbirds} are pretty aggressive with other species.
I wouldn't describe them as aggressive, not like blue jays, :eek: but they are mighty bold! They don't scare off easily. I think the reason they are that bold is they like to get in close to hear the sound they are going to imitate next. :)
Mine chase many of the other birds out of my yard. They may not eat their competition's young, but they are more than just bold. They have had nests in my Holly trees for years. God help any other bird that tries to occupy the hollies. Robins are also a very territorial bird, and we have a lot of those here as well all spring/summer. We hardly ever see Blue Jays here - so I think the Mockingbirds are top of the heap in the birdy pecking order.

S

·
0 Posts
Alarm clocks annoy me! lol

I never wake up to one. Even in one of my old jobs, if I needed to get up at 3 am to go in the office to fix a computer issue that required no one to be on the system (last shift left at 2:30), I would just tell my inner me I needed to be up at 3. I have never used an alarm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts