Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've spent a good amount of time researching this question on my own and have yet to find an answer. I'm turning it over to you all!

I have two labs (one being a 12 week old puppy) and I'm a new homeowner faced with the intricacies of caring for my lawn!

What types of lawn fertilizers do you all use that is safe for the dogs? I, obviously, don't want to put anything down that will harm my boys. What should I beware of as I learn the ins and outs of caring for the yard?

Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Please read this pertinent, related thread on lawn care: ↓

http://forum.justlabradors.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=3742

Please also read the reference link in my post in that thread.

As far as what is safe, I rely on the warning labels on the product.

To be extra safe, you could water immediately after application and keep your pets off that area for 24 hours or, if that's what they advise, double the time restriction and # of waterings.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Lawn Tonic Recipe:

One can of regular soda (not diet)
One can of regular beer (not diet or lite)
1/2 cup of liquid dishwashing soap
1/2 cup of mouthwash
1/2 cup of household ammonia

Mix this in a sprayer that attaches to your garden hose. Turn on hose and spray yard. After you do this a few times you will never use any other fertilizer.

Depending on size of yard, you may have to mix more than one batch.

This should be applied immediately after mowing.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Lawn Tonic Recipe:

One can of regular soda (not diet)
One can of regular beer (not diet or lite)
1/2 cup of liquid dishwashing soap
1/2 cup of mouthwash
1/2 cup of household ammonia

Mix this in a sprayer that attaches to your garden hose. Turn on hose and spray yard. After you do this a few times you will never use any other fertilizer.

Depending on size of yard, you may have to mix more than one batch.

This should be applied immediately after mowing.
I will have to try this! If not for myself, then for the lawn!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks for the recipe

I am a huge fan of non-chemical "recipes" for the garden. I did not have one for the lawn. I have just been using the one for my green shrubs. I will give this one a try this weekend. The lawn needs to be mowed then anyway. Maybe I can get my husband to finish the rest of the beer. ;)

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I don't use anything on my lawn. In early spring, I throw grass seed on all the thin spots. It looks OK, not great: I have some broad leaf weeds, but I care more about my dogs than having a beautiful lawn.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
We have used good old milorganite to fertilize for years. In fact a few years back Cinder stuck her head in the bag and ate about a cup of it.
We induced vomiting immediately and she was fine.

Here is what is on their MSDS:
Some coprophagic canines (fecal eating dogs) may transfer their fecal attraction to Garden Care® fertilizer, rip
open bags in storage and over eat. A dog may be sick for 24 to 48 hours, beginning with vomiting that can lead to
dehydration, incontinence (stiffness in the hind legs), atrophy, depression, and black stools due to the high iron in
Garden Care®. Liquids, bland diet, analgesics (e.g., ibuprofen), and stomach coatings such as Pepto-Bismol to sooth
irritation to the stomach lining and inflammation provide comfort. Full recovery is expected by the third day after
ingestion.

Other products I use are Diatomaceous Earth for bugs/ants and Sluggo.
Planet Natural has some great earth/kid/pet friendly products.
http://www.planetnatural.com
Most of which you can find at your gardening centers.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Water.

Honest to goodness, my lawn never has been fertillized (I have breeding dogs) and I have the greenest lawn on my block, hardly any weeds. The watering helps the grass grow in thick enough to suffocate the weeds.

I also over seed in the winter and spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts