Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking on-line for pet insurance for Cody.. no, he's not sick or anything, but if anythig did happen, insurance would be great. How many of you have insurance on your pets and do you recommend a good carrier?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Following is a post I've often made to this question:

Consumers Reports had a long article on pet insurance about 3-5 years ago that would be valuable for you to read; you can go to your local library and look it up in the CR index.

In general, IMO the odds of coming out ahead are a little similar although far from AS bad as investing weekly in the hope of winning the lottery.
Pet insurance is sold by profit making companies. They provide a service (which costs them money) for a fee which covers the cost of providing the service PLUS portions from your monthly premium which also goes:
-- to the company executive salaries and benefits;
-- to their employees and for their health, retirement, and leave benefits;
-- to their legal staff;
-- for advertising;
-- for the buildings and maintenance; and
-- for profit on investment to/by the shareholders,
-- etc.

For most people, it'll be far cheaper to self-insure -- and you often have more control over which vet treats your dog. That's because some insurance companies negotiate with particular vets to charge (to the insurance co,) a reduced fee for service in exchange for the potential of an increased number of referrals. So you may be restricted in which vet you can see.

IF it's determined by the insurance company that the treatment was for a pre-existing condition, it's usually excluded from coverage.
SOME insurance companies drop you at anytime when their costs of providing you service exceeds a level they consider detrimental to their economic survival.

Remember, these companies are in business to make a profit.

A few people DO come out ahead for large, covered expenses but these are in the minority; if they were in the majority, the insurance company would go broke.

Remember, these companies are in business to make a profit.

IMO, most people will come out much further ahead by "going into business for themselves" and setting up their own system much as HersheyK's Dad/Ed and others have recommended.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I have Pet Insurance on both Tal and Barney and a fund set up for Midnight. I got mine through the insurance offered by the AKC.

I had to use Tal's for hsi dirrahea treatment when he was about 6 months, it pays for his heartworm prevention and Frontline. When he was diagnosed with being heartworm positive last year, it paid for that. Tal also strained his left knee and the insurance paid for that also.

I have the same type of coverage for Barney, and with his whipworms last year plus his monthly HW and Frontline meds, the insurance paid for all of that.

In my case, I have definitely made good use of it for both of them. But the main reason I have it is in the even some catastrophic event (accident or illness) occured. I did not want to be faced with having to put them down because I could not pay for treatment.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We have Pet's Best on Piper. My husband thought I was nuts, but she is so active I was worried about accidents. This spring she had a growth on her face and we had it removed and biopsied. Insurance paid great. I've now got back just a bit more that I put in premiums for a year.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Both Ben and Jackson have insurance (just major medical). I know it would be best if I had the financial will power to just set up a fund for that but I don't. I have Embrace and although the initial paperwork was a bit of a hassle both of my claims for Ben (tail injury and itching was accepted). Jack won't be covered for allergies (because he was once treated for a goopy eye that the vet thought was allergies) or papillomas because he had one before he was insured. I can live with that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I insured Bo after the second ER visit ( more than $1000). I believe it's VPI. I then insured Gus when we got him. Of course we haven't needed it since then, but I can live with that. It's more of a major medical. Doesn't pay for routine stuff, but would have paid most of the ER visits if we'd had it then.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
As soon as I'm out from under this debt from the past year, I plan on starting emergency funds for Abbey and Sylvester.. at least $40 per month. Sylvester's still a kitten and is already neutered, but Abbey is the one with the "issues."

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We have a fund set up for Bauer, and pay into it each month. We don't use it for normal vet visits, or any preventative meds; it is there just in case of an emergency. The good thing about self-insuring is that if we need it, it is there . . . if we don't, it is still there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dropped about $5k on Ender in the last year alone. $3k for a triple lumpectomy, $1k+ for a tooth removal and cleaning due to a fracture, and another $500+ for shots, checkups, other stuff. 80% covered by AKC insurance, and thank the gods....It's paid for itself for the next 5 years easy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts