Just Labradors banner

Pet Barriers

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  TobysTrix 
#1 ·
I know that we have had many pet barrier threads on the old forum but I am going to start my own.

I have a Rav4 and have the tube barrier. Oakley has basically destroyed it so I need to buy a new one. It is amazing what she has done to it. She pulls the tube out of the clasps. There are bite marks in the tubes. She pulls the barrier towards her and the slips in up underneath it to get into the back seat.
Friday I put her in the back and then went back into my friends house as I forgot my keys. I was gone less than 2 minutes. I get back and she is going from the front seat to the back seat with a bag of treats in her mouth. :eek: Brat! I just shook my head.
I do need a barrier. If she is wet or dirty, I want her to stay in the back if I need to run in somewhere.
What kind of barrier do you use?
How much and where did you get it?

Many thanks
Lana

#2 ·
Hi Lana!

Does Toyota make a barrier that can be hard-mounted into your vehicle? I know that Subaru does, it might be worth looking into. I had no luck with those tube barriers as well when we had our Envoy... Henry found a way to squeeze between the tubes despite how much I tightened them. He rides in a seatbelt harness now. lol.

#4 ·
I had a barrier, but found that Baloo wouldn't settle. He never harmed it, but would pace and stuff and rarely just relax.

I took it out and put in crates for both dogs and they are MUCH happier now. I had to fold down the back seats to do it. I did find this, which would have made it so I didn't have to sacrifice back seat space but I realized that I'd rather have an all-purpose crate that I can use outside the car as well if needed:
http://www.cagesdirect.com/folding-dog-crates-general-cage-slant-front-crates-c-1_645_648_659.html

So... if you're coming down again sometime soon you can have my barrier if you want....! :p :D

#5 ·
We're looking at getting a pet barrier for our minivan. We would use a cage/crate but we cannot afford to lose any seat space and there isn't enough space otherwise. Who knew there were so many types of barriers?!!? Net ones, tube ones, cage ones ... oh my!

#9 ·
http://www.showeryourpets.com/wagupovepetb.html

I don't know if this will work better for you, but I have to get a new one in my new vehicle, and this will be it.

My other barrier which worked fine in my Jeep and my Corolla wagon, isn't staying up in the Xtrail. I guess the hard cargo floor doesn't allow it to grip enough to stay up, so it falls down on the girls. I have to have some barrier though, or they think it's license for them to hop back and forth all over the car.

I know now I can't have anything that braces itself on the floor of the car, and the Walkyguard thing is the best I have found.

#11 ·
I can't find a barrier that really works well in my car (Mini Cooper S). But I discovered that since I nearly always keep the back seats folded down for the dogs to have space, I can attach carabiners to the brackets that the back seats latch onto when they're in the up position. I then attach the dogs' leashes (connected to harnesses) to the carabiners so that they're secured. It's not quite as restrictive as the seatbelt restraints but is similar - they can stand up but not come into the front seat and it would prevent them from being thrown forward in the event of an accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.