Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you have heard of this book series. I hadn't. Riley brought it home from a friend at the end of school and we've been getting them from the library since. There are 5 total and Riley just got the last one.

He LOOOOOVES these books. He'll stop and read passages out loud to us because he thinks they are so funny.

He nearly bubbled over last night when a preview came on before HP for the first Percy Jackson movie. He knew what it was almost immediately just from the first scene in the preview. He whisper-yelled in my year, "It's Percy Jackson! YES!"

So, if you have 11'ish year-old boy readers (don't know how they play to girls, I haven't read them myself), Riley highly recommends them. I believe they've replaced the Eragon books as his favorite series.

From Booklist
Gr. 6-9. The escapades of the Greek gods and heroes get a fresh spin in the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, about a contemporary 12-year-old New Yorker who learns he's a demigod. Perseus, aka Percy Jackson, thinks he has big problems. His father left before he was born, he's been kicked out of six schools in six years, he's dyslexic, and he has ADHD. What a surprise when he finds out that that's only the tip of the iceberg: he vaporizes his pre-algebra teacher, learns his best friend is a satyr, and is almost killed by a minotaur before his mother manages to get him to the safety of Camp Half-Blood--where he discovers that Poseidon is his father. But that's a problem, too. Poseidon has been accused of stealing Zeus' lightning bolt, and unless Percy can return the bolt, humankind is doomed. Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny. Percy is an appealing, but reluctant hero, the modernized gods are hilarious, and the parallels to Harry Potter are frequent and obvious. Because Riordan is faithful to the original myths, librarians should be prepared for a rush of readers wanting the classic stories. Chris Sherman

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry! I should have put this in the Movie/Book section. I wasn't thinking.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Melissa, I read anything and everything and have actually read this series. It was indeed VERY enjoyable, and I had the same reaction as Riley when I heard about the movie! I recommended them to my cousin's twin daughters who are 10 and they enjoyed them very much as well.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Melissa, I read anything and everything and have actually read this series. It was indeed VERY enjoyable, and I had the same reaction as Riley when I heard about the movie! I recommended them to my cousin's twin daughters who are 10 and they enjoyed them very much as well.
I am also one who reads anything and everything, and I think I might look for this series. It sounds like fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts