Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to petco I needed to add a link to Dakotas pinch collar. I had to take a link with me because I went sure what size it really was. So I found the size I thought it was from looking at it but couldn't really tell it looked a little bigger (it ended up being a little bigger but its also a diff. brand). So I asked the guy at the check out to take a look for me. This dumb ass behind me comes up and starts bitching "whats she need to know" (I assume they needed to get going?? Anyway he then started bitching at me that its just not right to be using a pinch collar. I explained to him that Its what works for my dog and I don't get pulled down the street when I walk her. He then tells me he wouldn't do that to his dog. I turn around and said "thats you and not me" I wanted to start going off on him for bringing his new puppy into the store.. They had just gotten it and had to go buy some things for him so they could take it home...

Now before I came to this forum I would have gotten really upset and REALLY gone off on him.. But seeing what everyone else has had to deal with on here I decided I stated my reason and he wasn't worth my breath..

I would never do anything to hurt my girls and its the one thing that works for Dakota when we walk. If I didn't I would be down to the other side of the street in nothing flat! So I am going to stick with what works for me, and that is using a pinch collar!

Id like to add I put the pinch collar on me before i bought it from my trainer last year and it didn't hurt and I am a baby when it comes to pain!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
OOOOooo... that's soo frustrating.

I find one of the things that really sucks about being fairly educated about dogs and their care/behaviour is having to deal with people who aren't but think they are and have all sorts of opinions.... ugh. sooo irritating.

Good for you for not saying anything though. As tempting as "telling them off" would have been, it never helps, and usually just makes the situation worse, and then you end up more frustrated!

In the end, YOU know that you love them and always do what's best for them, and that's what matters!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
God, I know. There were people that hauled their seven week old border collie pup on the 2 mile MS walk today. Uh, EXCUSE ME? It's not like they were carrying it.... ::)

And I disagree about saying something, Baloo317, sometimes people really don't know any better and telling/explaining to them changes their behavior. My FILs now feed a better dog food (they used to feed Ol Roy), use marrow bones, etc, but it really does depend in how you say it though.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
snowflake said:
LabMommyKathryn said:
Id like to add I put the pinch collar on me before i bought it from my trainer last year and it didn't hurt and I am a baby when it comes to pain!
Really????? :eek: LOL That is so cool! ;D
I figure if it hurt me then it couldnt be good for Dakota.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Absolutely depends how you say it!!

I just meant that it's rreeeeaaaallly tempting in situations like that to snap at people, and I was commending on the restraint shown!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Try not to let this get to you too much. EVERYBODY has an opinion on how to train/work your dog...just ask your neighbour/your friend/the mailman :). Why do you think myths like hitting a dog with newpaper, rubbing the dog's nose in their pee or anything along those line remain propogated. Everybody has an opinion. Unfortunately most people do not have a clue...your first hint was this person having a puppy that young in the store.

I get the same thing all the time when Morgan is wearing his pinch collar. Generally when I explain to people that it does not hurt, that he does not mind it, that it mimics the mother's bite and that there is less a chance of it doing damage then a lot of training collars, they understand. Sometimes they do not and insist. For those that do, I have lead them to a field or an empty spot and proceeded to show them what Morgan can do obedience wise. That is normally enough to shut them up.

You know your dog and what works for you.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Everybody has an opinion and all and alot of people are experts **sarcastic voice**

I think it's good you showed restraint. I have a high pain tolerance and when the trainer at obed class showed me how the pinch collar works I put it on and she gave it a good yank. It didn't feel good but didn't hurt either. Thet is what convinced me about the pinch collar because I had a completely erroneuos idea of how it worked.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Ha, just thought of something. You mentioned that you tried on the pinch collar before using it on your pup (you rock! lol) maybe if someone insists on being a jerk you could ask them to try on the collar. At the very least, atleast it would get them to leave you alone, ya know?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
LabMommyKathryn said:
I went to petco I needed to add a link to Dakotas pinch collar. I had to take a link with me because I went sure what size it really was. So I found the size I thought it was from looking at it but couldn't really tell it looked a little bigger (it ended up being a little bigger but its also a diff. brand). So I asked the guy at the check out to take a look for me. This dumb ass behind me comes up and starts bitching "whats she need to know" (I assume they needed to get going?? Anyway he then started bitching at me that its just not right to be using a pinch collar.
RIGHT THERE I would have stopped him and said "I want to talk to your manager".

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
OMG an employee said this to you! :eek: I thought it was just some random dude in the store! Wait....wasn't it some random dude in the store? I'm confused (whimpers).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I tried it on myself before I put it on Oona. My ex wanted me to keep it on all of the time but I said no. (just kidding) ;D
The ends of the prongs are dull, not pointy, but if this is a concern they make them with rubber tips on the prongs.
People don't understand how they work, they put equal pressure around the dogs neck.
Olie

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One time we forgot to take Maggies e-collar off when we went to the store and these people went off on us about how terribly "shocking" they were for dogs and how bad they hurt. So my husband took the collar off Maggie and showed the lady that they really didn't hurt by putting it on her wrist and pushed the button to shock. The lady was really surprised that it only "tingled". Well, the guy asked to try and when he did he started screaming and shaking and spitting. HE WAS ONLY JOKING AROUND, :eek: but there was other people standing around and they got sooooo mad at us and called us all kinds of names. The guy felt so bad, but the damage had been done.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mich- it was a random person in the store.. I was in a check out when it happend. Had it been the guy who was ringing my stuff up I would have gone to management.

I have use of my uncles shock collar. I tried it on my hand. It didn't hurt but it didn't feel very good. I don't use it was sent to me to use if I wish. I think my girls and I have had our disagreements but understand how far each can push eachother.. I have learned with Dakota there are just some things that need to be dropped and come back to at a later time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts