Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I really need to vent. I just got out of work--I am a nurse and work as the charge nurse on a busy cardiac floor. I am there for my patients...I love working with the patients but the staff lately are another story!!!! It is one non stop compliant from the time the 7p-7a crew walk in. "I don't have any of the same patients I had last night" (actually you do but because of various reasons we had to change their room assignments--if you would just look at the names and not the room numbers you would see that [email protected]#.) "We don't have enough staff--they should have found us someone (by they---you do realize you mean me--and what the hell do you think I was doing on the phone half the night between caring for my patients--taking pizza orders???) or even better "you got who to work--she doesn't do anything (ok well you weren't happy when I couldn't find someone--how about I just call her back and tell her you want to work short)

I just don't understand how people can be so miserable all the time. We are there for the patients and the reality is that a lot of the time we have to work short staffed. Instead of the effort and energy it takes to complain these folks could get up off their @## and go answer a call light or see if there is something they could do to help that person who is lying in bed and can't do for themselves. I am actually supposed to work about 2 days of the week doing Administrative work and the rest of the time on the floor with patients. However I tend to do about 1 day of Administrative work every couple of weeks because I can't get away from the floor. I always have the door open and try not to turn any one away who has a problem or question but I am really tired of bending over backwards to try and help the staff out when they won't/don't even try to help themselves out. I was so upset tonight when one of the staff made the comment about "they" should have found someone. She told me that "they" never even made any phone calls to try and cover the shift. I couldn't even respond to her...I made the phone calls and had the list attached to the assignment sheet. When I did tell her that she said...well Nurse SO and SO said she would work...you must not have called her. I had called her and she didn't pick up her phone....and if she was so in fact willing to work then why didn't she sign her name on the weekly sign up sheet that has posted for at least 6 weeks?????

Especially after the tragic events of this week I just wish people could come together and help each other out more and just show respect for one another.

Sorry this is so long but I was in tears when I came home this woman just got me so upset.

On a positive note I am so glad that I have this cute little pup to come home and give big hugs to....one hug on Ernie can make you forget a bad day :)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I'm sorry you had such a bad day at work. You should be appreciated for all you do, not nagged at.

Do the nurses ever have staff meetings? It might help for you to sit everyone down and say something. You could say it nicely and still shame them into realizing what they're doing to you.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I loved that she whined about short-staffedness (is that even a word? Nathan, li'l help?). Short-staffing has been a problem in the nursing community since Florence Nightengale turned to Molly Guinness and said, "Here, hold this." And Molly replied, "Ick" and ran off!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dweck said:
I loved that she whined about short-staffedness (is that even a word? Nathan, li'l help?). Short-staffing has been a problem in the nursing community since Florence Nightengale turned to Molly Guinness and said, "Here, hold this." And Molly replied, "Ick" and ran off!

;D LOL--so true and thanks for making me laugh so hard--Can I use that line the next time I work? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts