Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of moving and looking at places. Well, we went and looked at this rental last night that we will be taking. It is perfect for us. It is on 10 acres so there is room for all of our animals and "stuff". Maggie will love it - room to throw the ball, run forever, buying her a pool, (because it can get really hot out there!) Anyway.....

The people that moved out left due to getting a divorce. They had a dog (Lab/Border Collie) a cat and two mallard ducks. Well, neither one of them wanted the animals so they just left them there. I happen to know the owners very well and they asked me if I would please allow the animals to stay because the people lived there for 4 years and the animals are used to it there and she would hate to just take them to the pound.

Wow! I really don't mind the cat (I already have 4-whats 1 more) I am not really ready for another dog, and the ducks. Well, what will Maggie do to the ducks. My husband does take her duck hunting. It will take some serious training. I guess that means I will keep them. BUT, the dog. God, what do I do? STUPID PEOPLE! How can they just leave their pets they had for 4 years?

It was really cute watching these ducks just walking around the property anywhere they wanted to go.

B

·
0 Posts
So the people get divorced and figure the animals get divorced too...what bastards.

The owner of the place is at least somewhat nice, trying to leave them in their home, though its a huge burden to ask you to take on.

I cannot believe someone would just leave animals like that. I'd call the humane society and report them.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Thats really nice of you to take all that on. But let me ask, what happens if you ever move out. Do you take them with you?

I wish we had all that land here. My yard is so tiny.

D

·
0 Posts
So you are supposed to assume the care and feeding of a whole bunch of animals due to the prior owners lack of simple humanity? There could be significant expense attached for you!

The cat is easy, but IMO you should contact a rescue about the dogs and the ducks. You should not have to knock yourself out re-training your dog to get him to leave the ducks alone.

Rescue can likely find the dog a home where he is wanted.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Idiots!!! I hope it works out for you if you decide to take them all in. Watch out for duck poop ;D

BTW: If they had kids I hope they didn't leave them too!! ::)

D

·
0 Posts
that is against the law to do that in oregon, I don't know about your state. you should check and report the bastards

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once I get attached they never leave me! And let me just say, I get attached the first night! I could never do that to an animal. My dad called me a few minutes ago and I told him about it and he might know a lady with some acreage that "might" want the dog and the ducks, but here I go.....being overprotective with all the questions.
1. How much time will she spend with the dog
2. How is she going to care for them
3. Will she keep them updated on shots and vet checks, etc.

UPDATE:
Well, come to find out this lady is 80 years old and her dog of 16 years is being put down (cancer) this week. She wants another dog right away.
Her vet is the same as mine. She is in good health, but the dog is only 4 years old so I'm a little concerned about that.

What to do? When I get another dog, I really want it to be a lab from rescue. I should be glad that the dog would have a nice home.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never thought about duck poop, but now that I think about it I should tell you there was plenty of it around. Also, they had this stinky little "bath tub" looking thing for the ducks to play in that had gross looking green water that the dog drank out of also. YUK! That will go for sure.

They did have kids, but they are going with the mom because the guy said they are "hers". Whatever that means. JERKS!

D

·
0 Posts
hifive said:
I never thought about duck poop, but now that I think about it I should tell you there was plenty of it around. Also, they had this stinky little "bath tub" looking thing for the ducks to play in that had gross looking green water that the dog drank out of also. YUK! That will go for sure.

They did have kids, but they are going with the mom because the guy said they are "hers". Whatever that means. JERKS!
I've known lots of labbies that find duck poop a particular delicacy.

So, there is no pond and they have ducks? I raised ducks when I was a kid but we rehomed them to a place with a pond when they grew up. A little pool is just not enough.

P

·
0 Posts
that is nice of you to take on the care of these animals :angel:

I know what you mean about getting attached.....can you shift into "foster mom" mode for the dog and ducks and try to find them other homes?

Good luck

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No pond for the ducks, just a little tub. And by tub I mean plastic bin style that you would use for storing kids toys in under your bed. It's really sad.

UPDATE! Kindness pays off! Landlord called and is reducing rent for me taking on these animals. It's not much, but anything counts. My rent is going up $320.00 plus my gas is going up by at least $50.00/month because we are moving further in the country.

She is reducing rent by $50.00 per month. She is also going to help out by purchasing the dog food for however long the dog is there. (probably forever!) I will have to keep Maggie out of that dogs food. I need to find out the dogs name.

Dog needs grooming BAD and has worms (keeps wiping butt on ground).

I hope Maggie doesn't start rolling in duck poop or eating it. Maybe my husband can build a nice area just for them.

I can't wait to get pictures. We are moving in on June 1st.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
What a nice gesture on the landlord's part. That's pretty remarkable, the offer to reduce your rent AND pay for the dog food. Sounds like it's going to work out just fine for you. You'll get the duck situation figured out, I have no doubt. Enjoy them! :)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
dare1969 said:
I would get it in writing from the landlord.
I don't know, Dare. Sometimes people do good things just because it's the right thing to do. I'm inclined to feel that asking for this generous offer to be put down in writing would be insulting. Showing distrust. Well, maybe not the rent reduction... that could go into print, but the dog food? I wouldn't ask for anything in writing on that. The dog isn't the landlord's responsibility either, yet, the offer was made.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts