Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has a 5 month old lab, and he "dribbles". She said that when he goes outside to pee, it all comes out in one stream and everything is fine. Inside she is constantly finding these trails of pee. Always a very small amount, and always in a trail like he didn't stop moving. It is never in a puddle in the house. She has taken him to the vet, and they can't find anything wrong with him. Has anyone experienced anything similar, or have any ideas?

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Dylan does that a lot of the time ! It's an excitement thing with him for sure.

He can go all week without a mistake, but when it comes to his school lesson it's waterworks all the way even though he goes beforehand.

I'm sure he'll learn and grow out of it in time !
If it continued daily then I would get him checked for a UTI.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Jeebies did that a lot at around the same age. It's excitement/submission pee. Basically we just kept putting her in new situations and tried not to get her too excited and she got over it.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Yep, Dutchie does it ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time. I have had him checked in the past and found nothing. Just said it was possibly a weak bladder muscle.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Bruno did it but grew out of it - no more dribbles. I thought it was cute - whenever he got excited, or when I was going to the door to let them out. ( It wouldn't have been so cute if I had carpeting instead of hard floors.)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for the input. She didn't think it had to do with excitement, because it happens in all different situations (not always when he is excited). She keep a closer eye on when it is happening. My guess is that you are all absolutely correct, and it is excitement related. Puppies get excited so quickly that she probably doesn't realize he is excited.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My yellow Lab, Ollie turns 6 mos 4-22 and he dribbles. He finally stopped using inside as the latrine and uses the outside. He drinks alot and I find I try to curtail the massive intake. yet he dribbles and i find the trail leading down my hallway. It happens especially after sleeping I call all the dogs to go out and here he comes dribbling along. I wonder if he actually has a weak deficient bladder or its a puppy thing he needs to learn to build up strength . Or is it a fixed thing as he hasnt had his lil ballies removed so with the massive testosterone (aka excitement) courses thru him he can't control himself. This only happens if i do not monitor his water intake as he makes himself a bladder bag just waitin to go! He doesnt dribble when monitored and rationed yet i feel bad that i'm withholding from him. Vet says he's fine urinary/ kidney wise. I hope he grows out of it. Otherwise he's a cool puppy always stealing crap around the house - socks , undies- toilet paper off the roll etc...Never a dull moment. Thank God my older lab is past that insanity!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have a 4 y/o that does this. When he's sniffing, he's sometimes dribble big time. But it's usually around after he's gone pee. We have lots of dribble spots on the carpet, I am assuming him as well. Fortunately the rug cleaning guy is coming soon.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I didn't trust Bailey to be fully house broken until he was close to a year old. You could actually see the light go off "oh I have to pee" we both would run to the door he would go outside and I would turn to find a pee pee trail leading to the door. We took him in a number of times thinking he had a UTI but he never did, his bladder finally caught up with his growing body I guess.

We took him outside when he woke up, after he ate, before during and after play etc never failed he always had an accident. He would lie down in the middle of playing at his puppy class and just pee away leaving a puddle while one of us cleaned the floor the other took him back and cleaned him the best we could. Like I said though about the time he turned a year old he seemed to have more control and his body stopped growing around that time too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts