Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I have one, but haven't been able to get close enough to them yet to use it! I must admit, after the first three attempts, it got put away and forgotten about. Now that they had their nails trimmed at the vet's, I am going to get the PediPaws back out and keep them trimmed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wondered if anyone has tried this gagdet for doing your dogs nails......and how well it worked? TIA
I have one (well, not the Pedipaws brand but a similar device) but haven't tried it yet. I planned on using it this weekend however we took Cooper for a bath at the groomers and when I picked him up, they had trimmed his nails so there's not need for me to touch him. I think he will be receptive to the trimmer because he really doesn't mind having his nails done. (I am so lucky!)

I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks!

Bev.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You might be able to use it to maintain the nails but they have to be clipped first. I can't get it near Oona.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ah, I've seen this on TV, but I'm fine with just a normal set of nail clippers for dogs. I've spent so much time with Toshiko and playing with her paws so she's used to me handling them that she'll just lay there now with no resistance till I'm done!

Doing the same with my new pup now, and he's so laid back and already comfortable with me and Toshiko, he did the same and let me trim them no problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased one and went through the sandpaper head in one usage. Lab's nails are thick and tough and the wee thing didn't seem to have the power to make it a quick and easy job. The girls were patient enough, but it was a chore.
I went back to the Dremmel and it cuts the time in half. They fidget a bit regardless..especially the black Lab because her feet are so very ticklish; but a few treats doled out beforehand does the trick.
I use the PediPaws thing on the pup now while her nails are still 'puppyish' and not thick yet. She's more interested in chewing on my fingers. :D

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
My guys got one from their grandmother for Christmas. They were NOT impressed. LOL Zena will let me do hers but the other two run from the noise. I have tried to leave it on while we are lying around in bed for them to get used to the noise...no way...they hate it!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I liked it. To me it was a good stepping stone between the clippers and the dremel. Not as loud or fast as the dremel so it was a great conditioning tool. :)

I moved up to the dremel because it took a LONG time to get his nails where I like them with the pedipaws. What took about 3 minutes with the pedipaws takes about three seconds with the dremel.

I would definitely recommend the dremel over clippers though, you can get the nail much shorter and no worries about scratches to floors or people as the end result nail is a little nub with no sharp points. ;)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I don't really have any problem with regular clippers....just that they leave her nails quite rough. SU has a dremel, so maybe I'll give that a try first.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I have one, and will echo the comment that it doesn't file very quickly. I use it after I clip to file the nail smooth. Not enough power to actually take off much nail.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Has anyone aside from me ever noticed that the Pedipaws in the commercial isn't even turned on?

That's always bugged me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried it and hated it. I would put it to my dogs' nails and the motor wasn't strong enough to turn the sander. I use a stronger dremmel now and love it.

I gave my PediPaws to a family member who has a Chihuahua and they really like it. It works very well for them. Not good for a Lab though.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have the other brand trimmer, the Pedicure.... and I got the electric model, because I figured the battery operated one would not last through 4 dogs getting their nails done..... they were afraid of it at first, but now they do well with it....... you definitley have to work with them for a few days , to get them accustomed to the noise......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts