Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for the past week I have been looking after a families black Labrador. They were away in another part of the country on some adventure holiday. Lab came to me last Sunday and they were back from their trip yesterday.

When I spoke to the lady owner on last Saturday we arranged that I would drop off the dog (I have a key) at 10-11am on Friday (yesterday) as they were due to get back between 12-2pm. So, that is exactly what I did. Took the dog back yesterday at 11am and everything was fine. When I drove past the house later in the day about 3:00pm they were back. Their car was in the driveway.

Naturally, as they were back, I expected a call or visit from them with a thank you and of course my payment for the week. I didn't expect them to call in until the evening as they had a long drive (4-5 hours). Evening came and went and no word from them. Fast forward to right now (3:00pm Saturday) and still no word. You would think a call saying 'thank you' and 'we'll be around at_______" wouldn't be so hard. I gave them the benefit of the doubt last night but now I am annoyed. If I provide a service to someone I expect a little gratitude...the payment I am due would also be nice. ::)

Am I over reacting? if they don't get in touch me with me by the end of the day, what should I do? they are nice people so I'd rather not confront them but obviously I can't let this slide. :mad:

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
not overreacting..I would be pissed too.
I always call my petsitter as soon as I return...and I prepay my petsitter. :)

I used to do petsitting part time to help out my friend who has a petsitting business (she is my petsitter too) and the stunts people pull....rude and inconsiderate. I could tell you stories.
Hope you get paid soon.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'd call and ask if everything was ok with the dog when they got home. You can also let them know how it was while staying with you and ask how their trip went. Hopefully they'll get a clue ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
JacksAndLabs said:
I'd call and ask if everything was ok with the dog when they got home. You can also let them know how it was while staying with you and ask how their trip went. Hopefully they'll get a clue ;)
I would do the same as jacksandlabs hope you get your money soon I would never not call, or not pay the sitter I would just be grateful to know my dog was in safe hands whilst I was away ;)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I think I will call them this evening. I still can't believe how inconsiderate some people are. They had better call before I do or I will not be a happy camper. :mad:

used to do petsitting part time to help out my friend who has a petsitting business (she is my petsitter too) and the stunts people pull....rude and inconsiderate. I could tell you stories.
Hope you get paid soon.
This is the first bad incident I have had. The last families dogs I looked after were fantastic. I also do dog walking for them now. They have two dogs -- a Lab (yep, another one!) and a cross breed. On both times I have had them the lady has come around to my house personally with my payment and a gift (which I thought was a lovely gesture) as soon as they got back. She was also very thankful.

So yeah...I am a little shocked by these people to say the least.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
oh yes, I had super clients that were fantastic. In fact most were wonderful. And the one's that had the least to give were always the most generous.

but as with all businesses comes bad apples. I was fortunate because I had only a select number of clients that my friend gave me, but she has some difficult clients (late payments, don't come home when they say they will, etc.)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Yup, I do what Nicole suggested - let us know how you make out!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. ;)

I'd be annoyed too.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I like the idea of calling and asking if everything was in order and all.

I would never delay paying for something like this. Having peace of mind that your pet is being well cared for while you are away is priceless. When you call you'll know if there is a good reason for the delay. Sometimes things do occur and that may be the case here.

If they just 'forgot' or, worse yet, trying to avoid paying you, that is just downright rude on their part.

Please let us know how it goes...good luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
do they live close by? If they do maybe you could take a walk over with your bill... i remember back when i used to babysit, some folks were very rude and made me wait or just completely "forgot"... Ya right.... good luck hope you get your cash, next time i would have them pick-up the dog then they can pay you at pick-up. ;)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hmm, I'm a very non-confrontational person- pet-sitting clients of mine would always pay me a week or two late- but they'd always pay me.

Now I just tell them to leave a check with the instructions.

Maybe just call to see how the trip was and if everything is okay?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you call you'll know if there is a good reason for the delay. Sometimes things do occur and that may be the case here.
I hope so. Otherwise... :mad:

If they just 'forgot' or, worse yet, trying to avoid paying you, that is just downright rude on their part.
It is the forgetting part that makes me mad. How can you "forget" about someone who looked after your dog for the whole bloody week?? I don't think they are trying to avoid it. The hubby has a top flight job so they are not exactly lacking in the money department.

do they live close by?
They live about a few blocks away.

BTW, I just tried calling and they were out. Grrr. I shouldn't have to do this. I'll call again in a few hours. Otherwise I am going around there tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
dealing with that myself, and of course the client lives outside the city, so I can't go banging on her door...

I've only had two people stiff me in nearly 10 years of this... which is pretty good, or pretty lucky.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
If I were the client and everything looked fine, I probably wouldn't call the sitter during a holiday weekend. The family may be at church, they may have to visit family for the holiday, etc. I wouldn't worry about it until Monday and then if they don't call, I'd wander over there.

Of course a big delay in payment is totally unacceptable but I shouldn't think a couple of days over a holiday weekend should be that big a deal.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
That's kind of RUDE! :mad: You watched their dog for a week, even dropped him off at their house and they don't even bother to thank you?!
I mean they should be pretty interested how the week went for their dog too. ::) I really hope there is an explanation to this... I wouldn't be late to pay and thank somebody who had watched my pup.

·
Registered
292 Posts
say "wheres my money *****" and back hand her. lol no just make small talk and just ask for your payment if they havn't gave it to you. then almost at the end off the convo if still no thank you just throw in a your welcome

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I were the client and everything looked fine, I probably wouldn't call the sitter during a holiday weekend. The family may be at church, they may have to visit family for the holiday, etc. I wouldn't worry about it until Monday and then if they don't call, I'd wander over there.

Of course a big delay in payment is totally unacceptable but I shouldn't think a couple of days over a holiday weekend should be that big a deal.
That is fair point, however I would expect a phone call saying 'thank you' at the very least. If they had phoned and said they would bring the payment after the holiday I would be completely accepting of that. However, they have had no contact with me. I don't feel like I should be chasing them because they asked me to provide a service. After I provided that service I expect a bit of professionalism and my money on time. If I hired someone to take care of my pets paying the pet sitter would be my first priority -- I wouldn't wait until it suited me.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Well, I agree. If I had found someone wonderful to watch my boys, you bet the first thing I would do is call them on return and fawn all over them (and of course give them their money).

You have not worked with these people before this time? I dunno. Maybe golfgirl is right, maybe they just came home and got right into Easter mode. I know, still. :-\ Do they have kids? I wonder if they think you are just going to bill them? What did you all say beforehand about how payment would be handled?

I guess it just doesn't mean as much to some people as it would to me, to have someone trustworthy looking after your dogs. When I have left the boys with our training director, the very first thing I want to do is go and get them. I brought her a present for her doggies at Christmas. I brought her flowers another time. I need to try and remember to bring her a little something each time.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I would feel as you do, Trickster. However, I think Golfgirlrobin makes the most valid point. See what Monday brings, and if Monday is part of the Easter weekend, take a deep breath and grant leniency for a response on Tuesday.

(If someone were caring for our dogs, I would have made a bee-line for the telephone to thank them before I even put my bags down.)

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
"Welcome home! I just wanted to call and make sure everything was alright with the house and the pet. You had a wonderful trip, I hope? Wonderful.. We need to set a time for me to return your key and finish up some paperwork - what day is best for you?"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts