Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shopping today for a laptop. I've been thinking for months about getting one. My computer is a dinosaur--9+ years old, Dell Dimension 4100. And it is starting to get r e a l l y s l o w.
The computer guy at Best Buy tried to sell me on a Mac.
2.5 times the price and a 13" screen vs. 16". I just don't know. He said that Windows Vista is already extinct and will be replaced in 6-12 months. I really wasn't prepared to spend that additional money, and I'm not sure my aging eyesight would be happy with a 13" screen.
Opinions?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I forked over the extra cash and got a MacBook Pro. It's not the newest version, but I got it in February 2008. I LOVVVVE IT.

Do you HAVE to have a Mac? No. Would I recommend it? Yep!

Obviously the guy is going to try to sell you the most expensive one. You just need to know a) what you need to use the computer for b) your budget and c) what the computer needs or should have.

That said, what do you need to use the computer for? If it's just basic stuff, you can for sure get a VERY nice laptop for 700-800, lower end ones for cheaper than that. Now if you don't want a laptop, but a regular computer, it's generally even cheaper.

Did you get to play with the computers while they were there? If you are considering a Mac, I highly recommend going to the Apple store. They have a bunch of computers and obviously, they aren't trying to get you to buy one brand versus another. You can play with the different kinds and see if you like them. They take a bit of getting used to since it's a whole new operating system, but I love it. :D

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
A lot of places will let you 'downgrade' to XP instead of Vista. Don't let them pressure you into something you don't want. Friend of mine just got a HP laptop with 4G of memory for $750, XP, and I think a 15" or 16" screen. Screaming machine!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
A lot of places will let you 'downgrade' to XP instead of Vista. Don't let them pressure you into something you don't want. Friend of mine just got a HP laptop with 4G of memory for $750, XP, and I think a 15" or 16" screen. Screaming machine!
Yup! My friend just got a reallllly nice HP laptop.. very large hard drive, lots of memory, good sized screen for ~$800.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
When I talked to Dell last fall, they told me XP was still available on the build-your-own computers. I hear MAC's rock, if you have the money.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Get a Mac :)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
A mac is very different from a PC so if you're going to go that route it's going to be a bit of a learning curve, however, they are great computers...you do get what you pay for. I personally don't mind a PC...I'm used to it so that's what I would use. But I would DEFINITELY try to down-grade to XP. We got our Dell with XP and I'm so glad we did...my parents have Vista and blech...ANNOYING!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Look at today's woot (woot.com). Laptops are getting cheaper and cheaper on the pc side. Don't listen to best buy people, they suck.

If you just want something you can surf the web, email, do office type stuff on, you really don't need to pay all the extra money for a mac. If you really want a mac you're better off with a less expensive desktop as they don't take up much space.

If you'll use it at a desk anyway you should consider a netbook...you get a 8.9" or 10" screen but only pay $300 or less. Perfect for web surfing. You could use an external monitor for a larger screen if needed.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, $700 or so is what I was prepared to spend. I went in to look at the HP DV7-12450X. 4GB memory, 320GB harddrive. But it does have Vista. :confused:
And I didn't really like the 13' screen on the Mac. Or the $1600 price tag. The little sales guy can say it is easy to see but he isn't fighting the aging battle with his eyesight. I wanted a 16" screen. Pout.

I will use it primarily for surfing the web, watching videos, emailing, listening to music. I want it to be fast as I'm tired of waiting for a window to load. Photos I store on an external hard drive. I would like Word and Excel. And I want a laptop so that I can sit in my family room or out on the deck and play.

So...

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Look at the Asus brand. They make netbooks and regular size laptops. Are you a member of Sam's or Costco? I'd check out what they have, too. With your needs and budget a PC is fine.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Okay.. don't be afraid of Vista.. there's nothing wrong with it.. it's not like it's the first couple of months it's been out.. which is when they had problems.. vista is fine. Yes, MS iscoming out with a new operating system.. but the upgrade should be free if it comes out within a certain time frame of when you bought your PC.

If you don't want to upgrade, you don't have to upgrade.. a lot of people aren't using the latest OS.. software will support vista for many, many years to come.

Get a PC.. you don't need to pay 3x the price for a laptop to surf the web.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
We buy a new computer every year or two. We just stick with Windows for personal use. Jason is looking into a Mac Pro for his business since, wth add-ons, it has a lot of features he could use with his business. For that, I think it's worth the extra money. For web surfing and playing a few games, I'll stick with the cheaper Windows and get more pc for the money.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Look at the Asus brand. They make netbooks and regular size laptops. Are you a member of Sam's or Costco? I'd check out what they have, too. With your needs and budget a PC is fine.
I agree. Sometimes Sam's Club/Costco have good prices, but check around! My friend just got a computer from Best Buy for $60 cheaper than they had it at Sam's Club.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I was thinking that I REALLY wanted a mac, I went down and looked at them- loved it! The huge draw back for me is the price tag. I'm too cheap!! We recently got DD an HP laptop and it is wonderful- fast has everything she or I would ever need- it is Vista, but just after a short time of using it she is completely fine with it. So as my laptop gets closer and a closer to death, I know I will be going PC next time! Good Luck with your purchase:)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
brenda, i think you can build your own with dell and get the screen size you want. at least that is what my FIL did a few years ago when we got ours here.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Look at today's woot (woot.com). Laptops are getting cheaper and cheaper on the pc side. Don't listen to best buy people, they suck.

If you just want something you can surf the web, email, do office type stuff on, you really don't need to pay all the extra money for a mac. If you really want a mac you're better off with a less expensive desktop as they don't take up much space.

If you'll use it at a desk anyway you should consider a netbook...you get a 8.9" or 10" screen but only pay $300 or less. Perfect for web surfing. You could use an external monitor for a larger screen if needed.
So speaks somebody with 20/20 vision !

8" dream on !........gropes around for glasses

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
If you get a PC... I highly recommend NOT upgrading to the latest OS whenever it comes out... give it 6 months to 10 years to work out all it's bugs :p

Seriously though... with your needs and budget... get a PC.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i have a Macbook through work and i HATE it. it isn't compatible with anything. they had to actually install a windows program on it to get it to work with anything and we're still having problems with them. a few teacher's lost EVERYTHING on their mac's for no reason and the company wouldn't do anything about it (these laptops are 2 years old).

i have an HP that i paid 400.00 for and i have had zero problems with it and have had it for 4 years. it never chokes up on a program or video and runs so much more smoother then the mac.

all the educators in my building would rather pitch every mac we have out our windows before we get them again. the majority of us wanted Dell's but for some reason, we got mac's instead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts