Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a three year old with swollen paws, bleeding, she has a brother that has no similar symptoms, they stay primarily in our back yard 1 acre and I have treated her as prescribed by the vet with an iodine bath several times but to no effect, Any suggestions:confused:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
When did she last see the vet? How long have you been using the iodine wash? How often? What is the climate like where you are? Is it snowy/icy? Starting to look like spring with grass coming up?

First off I would bring her inside, in case it is something she is getting into outside. (Personally, I'd bring both dogs inside.) Did the vet give you a recommendation as to when you should see an improvement? I would call them and ask to have her seen again if you think it's getting worse or at least not getting any better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mild here in north texas, weeds and grasses starting to sprout, she has hypothyroidism and has been taking medication for the past three weeks, and we have brought her in for the past three nights, iodine wash used over two per week for the past four weeks. headed to the vet in the morning, we had been told prior to finding out about the thyroid that maybe it was allergies possibly, grasses we have all burmuda.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
The vet did not recommend any kind of antihistimine? I would bring her in as well -- not just at night. Is she licking her paws?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes we had been used antihistamines per the vet, do not like to though, as a result of itching but seems to be related to thyroid condition, has since slowed on scratching, we have no fleas or ticks never have, yes she does lick her paws, all are inflamed

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
It sounds like a grass allergy.

Ask your vet about using hibiclean disinfectant. I don't know if it's available in your part of the world but I have to use it on my Pug for the same reason. I have at least 6 different types of grass in my lawn so it could be any one of them that he's allergic to. When he starts licking his feet constantly, I bathe his feet in it & he soon settles down.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It sounds like a grass allergy.

Ask your vet about using hibiclean disinfectant. I don't know if it's available in your part of the world but I have to use it on my Pug for the same reason. I have at least 6 different types of grass in my lawn so it could be any one of them that he's allergic to. When he starts licking his feet constantly, I bathe his feet in it & he soon settles down.
When you say "he soon settles down" is this immediate as in minutes or in like a day or two? My Digger has a grass alergy and the summer is misery for him. I didn't knwo anything like this existed. Are you in the UK?? but I am sure i could find it online too.

Do you just wipe his paws, or do you have to dip them in for a length of time? I am so intruiged by this!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts