Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*This is not one of my dogs* I walk the dogs at out local humane society twice a week. I have been doing this since August and enjoy it but some days are harder than others. Last night I had an Akita pup that was about 4 months old. She was one of a litter they had brought in. She was very calm and mopey but I thought it was from being seperated from her litter since they were together so long and a few had been adopted and one other one was at the vet. When I took her out I thought she was just scared she kept laying down not wanting to move didn't want to go near the doors and such. I did get her outside and she went pee and walked around just a little. Still very unsure of the surrounding then she didn't want to go back inside I almost had to pick her up to take her back inside. The vet tec happened to be in the office when I brought her back in. She didn't want to go back to the kennel and was laying on the floor in the reception area. I finally got her back to her kennel after much coaxing. (she wasn't taking treats either). The vet tech came in and asked if she was like that outside too. I said yes and she wasn't wanting to eat (her food bowl was full too). She said she was going to test her for Parvo :( I held her for the test since I had already been in full contact with her and waited for the results. It was positive :'( Poor girl she is a cutie I hope she pulls through. She said they had been tested before being put on the adoption floor and was negetive. I'm not sure about the littermates since some have been adopted already I would guess they will call and have them come in and be tested or at least notify them to watch for symptoms.

Mocha and Smeagol are vacinated but it still gave me the hebejebies. I washed my hands and used that sanatizer before leaving the HS and went straight home and washed the clothes and shoes I was wearing with the detergent with bleach. They said my dogs should be fine since they are vacinated adults but it still makes me a little nervous.
Anyone else been around it? Anything I should watch for?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Your dogs should be fine. I would wipe your shoes with a bleach solution though. Your shelter is going to have to do a lot of cleaning and decontanimating now...which sucks.

While it DOES affect adult dogs, it's VERY RARE. It mostly attacks puppies who don't have a stronger immune system. Mopiness, loss of appitite, bloody diareha, vomiting...and a very distinct odor all come with Parvo.

But like the vet techs said, it's very unlikely that your dogs will get it.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dani,
I threw my shoes in the washer with my clothes so they should be clean now too. She was so cute I hope she pulls through. She was in the puppy room with the adoptable dogs I hope they don't get it too. All the dogs are vacinated before going to the adoption floor but probably right before. How long does the vaccine take to be effective? I also had her outside and in the lobby (you have to go throught the reception lobby to take them out). Normally we don't walk the puppies because they get taken out more than the adults by people looking to adopt them. Last night though all the adults had been out so I took a few of the older puppies out to work with them.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Boy parvo is REALLY bad for puppies! Stella (our little mix) had it and symptoms started two days after we brought her home at 6 weeks. She had to spend a week in intensive care at the 24 hour vet place in Louisville on IVs. Her brother and sister didn't get it, though. She had just been vaccinated for parvo, but apparently it wasn't enough for her to have any immunity yet.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poor Stella I'm glad she pulled through. Did you have her at Shivley Animal Hospital or one of the others. Our Yorkie has spent a lot of time at Shivley they do an awesome job. I hope Gwendelyn (the Akita) pulls through too hopefully her littermates don't have it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts