Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry to put this in chat, but I know it gets more traffic then other parts of the forum.

Sooo Here's the scoop.

2 weekends ago Brody helped himself to the bathroom trash and had a feast on tampons :mad: I do not have any way of knowing how many. He somehow opened up the bathroom door that was now closed due to incident #1 and had some more.

He was pooping a lot. Some very mushy wet stools and some firm. There was indeed fiber material in the poops. So I was feeling pretty confident that he would pass them all w/ out a problem. acting fine/eating & drinking fine as well.

Fast forward to Friday. Fed him w/ a new bag of food just bought (same as he was fed before, just a new bag).

Saturday I stumbled upon a section of wet carpet that he must have thrown up on. Nothing to unusual, he can be a very agressive drinker and drink himself until he barfs. Acting fine all day, but is hessitent to eat his food unless you stand right next to him.

Sunday comes around and he ate his food and was still drinking a lot of water. Very active playing in the yard. Another wet spot on the carpet. Now I'm starting to think something is up.

He's peeing/pooping and playing/acting just like normal. Only difference is he's drinking a lot of water and threw it up once a day. Just liquid and bile.

Monday, still acting fine. Get home from work and he did a normal poop, but was a little slow moving. Drank lots of water and threw up. At this point he's becoming fairly slow and just wants to lay w/ me.

We do some talking about the situation and realize he only started showing these signs since we fed him from the new bag of food. So we offer him some to eat last night and he ran over to the bowl and put his face in and imediatly pulled away. You could tell he was hungry and wanted to eat, but wouldn't eat his food. I offered him some carrots and a could treats which he gobbled right up.

Due to my work schedual/job I was unable to take him to the vets today or even get a call into them. I'm going to call as soon as I'm out of work to discuss this all w/ them but I was hoping to hear some of you guy's input.

I know it was a long read.:eek:

Also i appologize...spell check doesn't work for me and I'm a terrible speller :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I would have him to the vet to get it checked out. Something may be in his stomach causing the repeated vomiting. I found out from Bruno that stuff can stay in their stomach for days before being vomited, normal poops and normal eating the whole time. I would worry that he's starting to be less active. I would also recommend a lock on the bathroom door. ( I have one on mine.)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll see how he is once I get home. Hopefully feeling better. We are picking up a new bag of food tonight and see if maybe the food is the culprit. This has happened once a year ago? He refused to eat and was acting a bit sickly. Got some new food and he was fine.

I'm really hoping it's just the food.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If it were my dog, I think I would want him checked out, x-rayed, etc. Tampons do have expanding abilities, could plug him up. Not something I would want to mess around with.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Definitely have him checked out, and try the new food. If he eats things other than the food with no problem, it is probably an 'off' bag of kibble. But, to be on the safe side, I would have the vet check him to make sure there is no obstruction. Strings could have caused things to ball up inside him.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Last night on the way home we picked up a small bag of food to try.
He seemed to be looking a bit better. Played frisbee for a little and was his usual jumpy self.
Gave him a small portion of the new food and he gobbled it down! Then we put out a small portion from the bad bag of food, and he wouldn't even go near it. BINGO!!!!...... or so we thought.
He's still wanting to drink water constantly but we are limiting it so he doesn't make himself sick again.

This morning he refuses to eat, only wants water. He did poop and pee.

So as soon as the vets open I'm calling them and getting an appointment for today

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Vet apt. for 2pm today.
I really hope he's just sick, but I can't help but fear the worst.

Anyone ever do surgery to remove a blockage? How much did that cost?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Hopefully it's just an upset stomach and not a blockage, sending good thoughts your way!

Cost for the surgery would vary based on who is doing it, where in the country you are, where the blockage is, if bowel has to be resected, etc. If it is a blockage your vet will hopefully be able to give you an estimate after seeing x-rays.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK!

They did xrays and blood work yesterday. The xrays didn't show any signs of a blockage, but said they couldn't rule it out because cotton products don't show up well in xrays.
The blood results - they were all over the place. His platelet levels were extreemly low, but the Doc didn't find anything else to support the results. He thinks something could of just been off in the testing. If the results were accurate he would of been rushed off to Tufts Hosp.

They said he was dehydrated and would bennifit from being hooked up to IV's and monitored. Or we could take him home and give him some antibiotics and give him small portions of water frequently. We opted to take him home and see if we could do anything before we took him to tufts for a $1500 bill.

So we left the vets $475 poorer :(

He seemed to improve rapidly last night after eating the new expensive food from the vets, and drinking lots of water.

I think all the bacteria from the snacks he ate were just upseting his system.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone's furry friend ever have an attitude change when on meds?

Brody has always been easy going, but has tired to bite 2 times!!!! since yesterdays vet visit.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Whoa, I'd be back at the vets for SURE with that kind of change. Antibiotics should NOT have that effect on a dog, sounds like he's really seriously not feeling well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts