·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me while I muster up some sympathy... *cough*

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=261141&GT1=7703

Judge Sentences Hilton to 45 Days in Jail

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- A judge sentenced Paris Hilton to 45 days in jail Friday for violating her probation, putting the brakes on the hotel heiress' famous high life.

Hilton, who parlayed her name and relentless partying into worldwide notoriety, must go to jail on June 5 and she will not be allowed any work release, no furloughs, no use of an alternative jail and no electronic monitoring in lieu of jail, Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer ruled after a hearing.

The heiress arrived at court 10 minutes late in the back of a black Cadillac Escalade and swept into the Metropolitan Courthouse with several men in suits, ignoring screams of photographers lining the route into a rear entrance. Her parents, Rick and Kathy Hilton, also came with her.

Wearing a gray jacket and white shirt over black slacks and with a black headband on, she said nothing and appeared serious.

The celebrity case brought an unusual scene to the austere courthouse south of downtown in a commercial area. As if at a red carpet event, dozens of photographers and reporters lined up at the rear entrance. Yellow police tape substituted for velvet ropes.

TV trucks were parked nearby to beam the news worldwide and a helicopter hovered overhead. Extra sheriff's deputies stood guard.

Hilton, 26, pleaded no contest in January to reckless driving stemming from a Sept. 7 arrest in Hollywood. Police said she appeared intoxicated and failed a field sobriety test. She had a blood-alcohol level of .08 percent, the level at which an adult driver is in violation of the law.

She was sentenced to 36 months probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

Two other traffic stops and failure to enroll in a mandated alcohol education program, are what landed the socialite back in court.

On Jan. 15, Hilton was pulled over by California Highway Patrol. Officers informed her that she was driving on a suspended license and she signed a document acknowledging that she was not to drive, according to papers filed in Superior Court.

Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies stopped Hilton on Feb.27 and charged her with violating her probation. Police said she was pulled over at about 11 p.m. after authorities saw the car speeding with its headlights off.

Hilton's spokesman, Elliot Mintz, said at the time Hilton wasn't aware her license was suspended. A copy of the document Hilton signed on Jan. 15 was found in the car's glove compartment, court papers say.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I think I brought up a lung trying to work up some sympathy.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I think it's funny, too. She's gonna do hard time! Well, kinda hard.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Gosh, poor thing. I wonder if she will make new friends in jail? :p :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dunno...Martha Stewart wasn't able to pay her way out of it...Paris' family might not be able to either. I am interested to see what happens.

It will be very cushy jail I'm sure, but I'm sure it won't be all that pleasant for her either. Maybe she'll get beat up.

D

·
0 Posts
I think she deserves every bad thing that comes to her. She is not a nice person.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Hahhahahhaa! I shouldn't laugh at another person's situation, but she totally deserves it. Maybe, just maybe, this will teach her that she is not in fact any better then anyone else and therefore above "everybody else's" laws, and that in fact, her **** stinks just as much as anyone else's does.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
TangerineFizz said:
Hahhahahhaa! I shouldn't laugh at another person's situation, but she totally deserves it. Maybe, just maybe, this will teach her that she is not in fact any better then anyone else and therefore above "everybody else's" laws, and that in fact, her **** stinks just as much as anyone else's does.
DITTO!

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Janna and Boomer said:
It will be very cushy jail I'm sure, but I'm sure it won't be all that pleasant for her either. Maybe she'll get beat up.
From msn:
She was then ordered to report to a women's jail in suburban Lynwood on the set date or face 90 days behind bars. The judge's ruling excluded her from paying to serve time in a jail of her choice, as some are allowed.

Certain people can pay to pick their jail? :eek: Sounds like a bribe to me!!!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I am so glad she received jail time. She is, for some unexplicable reason, a role model *shudders* and so many young people are watching her it is frightening. I hope she has to serve time, even though it will be a "cushy jail" it will still be way worse than she is used to, and hopefully other kids will see there are consequences for their actions. I cannot work up one ounce of sympathy for her.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
She told the judge she did not know she couldn't drive on a suspened license, which she did twice. She obviously considers herself exempt from the "common folks" laws. I'm glad the judge stood tough on this.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Taffys Mom said:
Janna and Boomer said:
From msn:
She was then ordered to report to a women's jail in suburban Lynwood on the set date or face 90 days behind bars. The judge's ruling excluded her from paying to serve time in a jail of her choice, as some are allowed.
Certain people can pay to pick their jail? :eek: Sounds like a bribe to me!!!
Isn't that crazy?? They said on the Today show this morning that there are more expensive/cushy jails available. Sometimes, the court will let people pay the difference in cost, and they will get to stay in a nicer jail. ??? Why do NICE jails exist anyway??

I'm so glad the judge made this ruling. I bet he'll get tons of fan mail. MAYBE, just maybe, it'll prove to Paris that life isn't always "hot". I can't get over the fact that she and her entourage were LATE to COURT. I mean- come on. ::) ::)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
The funniest was her mother! before the sentence was even handed down, she is yelling at the judge, insulting the prosecutor.,..
mocking them both...omg! Clueless!! Wake up Hiltons! money cant buy you out of this one!

They did offer to buy up...apparently in California you can pay the difference between the amt they spend per inmate at the jail you were sentence to, to a prison of your choice!! The judge turned them down. Cant say I blame him after the way the mother acted and the lies Paris told.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check it out...doesn't sound too cushy:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=261151&GT1=7703

What Paris Can Expect Behind Bars
May 4, 8:36 PM EST

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Hopefully, Paris Hilton likes chicken.

She was sentenced Friday to 45 days at the Century Regional Detention Center, Los Angeles County's jailhouse for women just south of downtown in Lynwood.

Inmates there get three low-sodium meals a day, with dinner the only hot meal. Beef and pork aren't permitted _ "it's all poultry-based," said Capt. Alice Scott, who oversees the 2,200-inmate facility she describes as "a very nice place."

Like other high-profile Los Angeles County inmates _ O.J. Simpson, Robert Blake, Robert Mitchum, Sirhan Sirhan and Charles Manson _ Hilton will be segregated from the general population for her own safety, living in a one- or two-person cell.

Inmates are allowed outside their cells for an hour each day to shower, watch television in the day room, participate in outdoor recreation or talk on the telephone, Scott said. There are a bank of phones that use prepaid phone cards _ cellular telephones and Blackberries aren't allowed.

There have been other celebrities at the women's jail. Actress Daryl Hannah, arrested last year for failing to leave a 14-acre inner-city garden where farmers were being evicted, spent a few hours there.

Sometimes stars are allowed to do their time in a jail of their choosing. In such cases celebrities pay a daily room-and-board fee to the smaller jails, which afford them more privacy and comfort.

Sean Penn found a jail in Bridgeport, a remote town on the eastern flank of the Sierra, to serve a 60-day sentence in 1987 for fighting with a photographer in violation of his probation for a barroom brawl.

Cop-slapping actress Zsa Zsa Gabor served three days behind bars in 1990 at the El Segundo jail near the Los Angeles International Airport. She paid $85 a day.

But the judge in Hilton's case wouldn't allow such an arrangement, so she'll head to Lynwood on June 5.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts