Just Labradors banner

Parents with kids or people who watch kids I got a question..

355 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Labs4life 
G
#1 ·
What do you do when you find out your child's friend (or one of the kids you watch) is stealing toys??? I am watching 2 kids 4 and 5 for the next week and a half.. Today the 4yo tried to steal Kadens toys. I have watched and seen him trying but I didn't see him do it this time. It was his 5yo sister who said while she was putting toys away "Where are all the toys" I said I donno but you better find them and put them away. She then told me Batman was missing and I said I donno but they needed to find them and get the toys put away. She then tells me that her brother had batman last and when I asked where it was now she said it was in his pocket.. It ended up they were in his pocket and I took them away and made him sit down and think about it ( his mom was on her way to get them any way).
I told her and from what I could tell with out her saying anything it sounded like she thought he wouldn't/couldn't do such a thing but never said it..

I have now taken all the little toys away and we only have large non-steal able toys in the living room... I donno what else to do I cant afford to supply her kids with toys to.. What would you do??

#2 ·
They are still young and still learning. So at this point, I would just tell them before they are able to go home, all toys must be put away and accounted for. I think it is fairly common for kids of this age range to get sticky fingers every now and again. It isn't acceptable, by any means, but normal.

Just wanted to add that you may want to mention it to their mother. She may not be aware and she may want to handle it herself. <- oops I see that you did tell her.

G
#5 ·
At 4 years old, I would be hesitant to characterize it as "stealing"....but he needs to know what is OK and not OK to do at your house.

I always found that it worked well to reward my kids for the behaviors I wanted to get. So, maybe there could be some sort of reward for them all for a cleaned up playroom will all toys accounted for. That way if he pockets something he is impacting his own reward as well as the other kids. Peer pressure and guilt work great!

#6 ·
When it is time for mom, I would have them clean up all the toys and make sure everything is there.
Check pockets, etc. If you find toys in his pocket again just tell him that your toys have to stay at your house so they have them to play with when they are there. Then have them sit down and color until mom gets there (far away from the toys). Make sure all their things are gathered up , they have had drinks and gone potty so that when mom gets there it is easy out the door.

#7 ·
Yep, that's typical for the age! I agree just a simple explanation of the "Toy Rules" and a few follow up questions for a week should do it. It's no biggie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.