Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your kid uses their cellphone as the contact number, make sure they don't have a dumb message. I've been making calls on behalf of our school to students they're recruiting and you'd be amazed at some of the messages I've heard.

"Yo, this is [name removed to protect the innocent], leave a message."

Yo?

"This is [name], I'm either drunk, dead or don't want to talk to you - leave a message."

Yeah, your acceptance has been revoked.

"Hey, you've reached [name] and I'm not here. Peace."

I can tell you, if it comes down to offering a seat to one of several people with very close credentials, this leaves a very bad impression on the admissions committee. You'd think this would be obvious, but undoubtedly it's not. For your kid's sake, remind him/her to check and see what they're voice mail message says.

·
Registered
120 Posts
YES!!! I've had to call students for judicial hearings (of ALL things to be appropriate for!) and their message is just LOUD MUSIC blaring, and then a beep. How the **** do I know it's them?

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I've had the same thing!! We've got clients who do that crazy **** with loud music which goes on for 12 minutes before the beep, at which point I say:

Look it. This is your lawyer's office calling. I don't know if I've got the right number, but your next court date is Bla Bla Bla. If you EVER want your lawyer to show up for court for you again, fix your message. I can assure you this is the first and last time anyone from our office sits through this horrendous music.

Sure as ****, next time I call, their message has been changed to "Hello, this is Jimmy. Please leave your name and number".

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Great advice! At some points in your life you can get away with that, but when it comes to applying to schools OR a job, you need to step it up and be professional. Or get another line for "friends" (ex: cell only for friends, home line with answering machine for job/school calls).

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Seriously, you would think it was common sense- but it's not. My best friend is applying to dental school and I had to tell her to change her voice mail from a monty python skit to a "hello, this is so and so" message..

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

Yeah, I'm with yas on that one. I often have to call student to arrange to meet with them RE: network problems, and you get some good messages, and some really crap ones.
I'll admit though, mine's not the best - "G'day, You've tried to ring Ben / Pottsie, though A is for academics, B is for beer and one of those reasons is why I'm not here, so leave a message and I'll get back to you" :p

Cheers,

Pottsie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts