Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Then feel rotten once the kid is gone?

My daughter did something last night that really ticked me off this morning, when I found out about it. I had asked her to please put away her clothes. This morning, while trying to help her get ready for an upcoming field trip to a lake, I found she shoved all her clothes in her closet. The closet I asked her to please clean up last night, because my parents are coming tonight for a visit. They sleep in her room. My mom hasn't seen Kelsey's new closet organizer yet, so I figured it should look nice when she sees it. It really made me mad. So I got after her. Now I feel badly. Of course, one thing led to another. She is not appreciative of the things she has.. blahblahblah. DH, of course, told me it is my own fault. LOL. I spoil them with clothing. I rarely buy my kids toys, but clothes-I'm always buying. I like them to be dressed nicely. Apparently that is going to stop.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Alot. Mostly about hair color. Christopher doesnt listen to me about what I think is better. What do I know, Im just his 32 year old mother. Im not hip with the times I guess.

So sorry you had a bad start this morning. It really makes for a bad day.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
My kids are out of school and on their own.
but
I felt rotten everytime I had to yell at them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I can relate! My 10 yr old daughter and I are constantly going around and around about her bedroom, and it's mostly clothing issues. She tends to just let things hit the floor and that's where it stays. My 15 yr old son is also oh so pleasant most mornings.... very grumpy ( he's so not a morning person ::)) and he tends to think he can order the other 2 around. "Time to go" "get your stuff" etc..... I have to remind him he's NOT the boss, I am. ;)

Then after they leave, I take a deap breath.......
;D

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Riley and I have quite a few mornings like that. They usually end up with him storming into daycare (he catches the bus to school from there) and not talking to me.

Ours are usually about things he completely forgot he HAD to do until that morning. "I'm supposed to bring a snack for our reading lock-in today" 10 minutes before we're walking out the door.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Yeah - that's a pretty common occurrence. All you can do is learn from it and move on.

The receptionist at our school tells me that she frequently gets calls from parents who want to get ahold of their kids to apologize to them for yelling at them before school. (They don't let them). So it must be pretty common. :)

Btw, slurpee's after school works wonders around our house. It's the ultimate way to say "I'm sorry".

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I used to get so upset in the mornings trying to help the girls dress, when I couldn't get the 1st foot inside the door of their messy rooms, that they starting blocking the doorway and telling me that they could handle it... to just go have my coffee. :p

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Aim said:

My daughter did something last night that really ticked me off this morning, when I found out about it. I had asked her to please put away her clothes. This morning, while trying to help her get ready for an upcoming field trip to a lake, I found she shoved all her clothes in her closet. The closet I asked her to please clean up last night, because my parents are coming tonight for a visit. They sleep in her room. My mom hasn't seen Kelsey's new closet organizer yet, so I figured it should look nice when she sees it. It really made me mad. So I got after her. Now I feel badly. Of course, one thing led to another. She is not appreciative of the things she has.. blahblahblah. DH, of course, told me it is my own fault. LOL. I spoil them with clothing. I rarely buy my kids toys, but clothes-I'm always buying. I like them to be dressed nicely. Apparently that is going to stop.
Oh yes. And mine are only 7 & 4. My girls have lots of clothes too (I'm not a big toy buyer either) but at their ages they don't notice. They do, however need to learn to appreiate what they have. "I use the take it all away & you have to earn it back bit by bit" tactic now. It seems to work for now. :)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Umm yup...and it is usually over the state of her room, how she treats or mistreats her belongings and doesn't show respect for her things and room... leaving nail polish out, top off and little spills here and there, clothes she tries on, takes off and chucks in the hamper when theyre NOT dirty, clothes shoved under the bed, etc etc. Your'e normal :laugh:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I ALWAYS feel bad if Carter and I have a tiff just before we leave each other. It basically stays with me the whole day and I promise myself that when I next see him I will make sure we have a very good/enjoyable time together. Course, soon after we're together he'll do something else to piss me off and well, it's a vicious cycle ::)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I just argued w/ my daughter this morning over putting her shoes on teh front porch so we don't lose them. You'll know exactly where they are in the morning if you take them off on the front porch. I told her this was the last time I was going to help her find them because she didn't do what she knew she should have. When she goes out on the front porch and her shoes aren't there she melts down and expects everyone else to find her shoes. Grrrrrrr....

·
Registered
578 Posts
Aim said:

As the kid who usually drove her mom nuts before school-don't beat yourself up too bad. I never was as upset as my mom liked to think I was about an arguement-I figured she was just blowing off steam-but I definately knew that her guilt would pay off for me at the end of the day-evil I know, but what's a kid to do? LOL. On another note-I used to do the same thing with my laundry. When my mom found the stash of clean clothes I had under my bed she made me do my own laundry. I was 12 at the time and have been doing my own laundry ever since. It gets put away too. :)

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Only usually the youngest with preschool, and it involves him throwing tantrums about not wanting to take a bath, not wanting to wear particular clothes, not wanting to eat whatever for breakfast, etc.. Brandon is a pistol, and the smallest thing sets him off. We've managed to always make amends and give hugs and kisses before I dropped him off though, but I still feel bad all day.

Hasn't happened with my oldest yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts