Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you had/have a child/children who swore, what did you do about it?
I'm talking about a 4 year old.

Ignore it, hoping he'll stop when he sees he's not getting any attention?
Reprimand him? Although to me, that's still giving him attention.

What did you do, and did it work?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
My stepdaughter Jennifer was 5 when she tried imitating her older brother and sister. We explained to her that those were not polite words, they were used by adults who could not think of a more polite word to say, and we did not allow that kind of language. As she never heard her father or me use bad language, it was easier to get the point across. The one time she used a four-letter word after that, she was put in a time-out. She decided cussing wasn't worth having to sit in the corner!

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
We never had much of a problem with that ...amazing :D But when they did say a cuss word we would explain that is not something you say.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I don't have a problem with it really. I just told them those are adult words, and when they are older, they can say them if they wish.

They're actually really good about telling Jason not to cuss when he does. They also make him put money in their jar when they hear him. ;)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Karina! LOL! :D

Well I'm talking about Tyler, my oldest sisters's son. When I was there on Saturday he was really good for the first couple of hours. Then he turned into a little terror (waaaaaaaay overtired and excited from all the company at the same time), and started cursing at us. First it was "*******! *******!", then after I left, my other sister told me he started calling out "f*ucker!"!!!! :eek: Initially when the first "*******" came out, my jaw dropped and I looked at my sister like "aren't you going to do something about that?". She said to ignore it.

Sidenote : He gets it from her. She's got the worst mouth I've ever heard and will say anything in front of him. :mad:

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Karina! LOL! :D

Well I'm talking about Tyler, my oldest sisters's son. When I was there on Saturday he was really good for the first couple of hours. Then he turned into a little terror (waaaaaaaay overtired and excited from all the company at the same time), and started cursing at us. First it was "*******! *******!", then after I left, my other sister told me he started calling out "f*ucker!"!!!! :eek: Initially when the first "*******" came out, my jaw dropped and I looked at my sister like "aren't you going to do something about that?". She said to ignore it.

Sidenote : He gets it from her. She's got the worst mouth I've ever heard and will say anything in front of him. :mad:
YIKES....yes kids pick up on that kinda thing from parents. Still they will say words if they get a rise out of them too. :eek:

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
If he's getting it from mom, then it'll never get stopped. The only thing I would say is that you can step in when he's in your home. Your house, your rules. Kids pick up very quickly on what is acceptable where, you let him know that doesn't fly in your house and he'll get it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes kids pick up on that kinda thing from parents.
I know, Shel. This is new to me since we never had this issue with Michael and Jared. We never (OK, rarely) swore in front of them. To this day we don't in front of them and they don't in front of us, and they just turned
23. :D

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Yeah, I gotta say the best thing we did to avoid potty-mouth from the kids was... didn't have one ourselves.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I don't remember having a problem with Riley. I do remember telling him that there are words that you don't get to say until you're a grown-up and he was always fine with that.

I remember one time Riley was playing with Hot Wheels, crashing them into each other over and over and repeating the same thing over and over. My brother just stares at me like "Aren't you going to do something?!" Riley was saying "DAMAGE! DAMAGE!" That's not what my brother thought he was saying. =)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
No prude here, but it was not tolerated.
First time each child was told we didn't want to hear it again and it was not a word for them to use.
Second time was what is now called time out, and an apology needed before release.
Third time something important to the child was lost.
Never got to fourth time.

One word was exempt, ****!

Unfortunately, Mom could not keep herself from saying it. It was actually first child's first word.

They are all in their 30s now and we can laugh about it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL Melissa and Ed! :D

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
We tell Makenna we don't say that. I tell her she can say oh shoot or oh schucks or darn it. She does pretty well. I am pretty careful with what I say. I have to remind SU about it. Wait till they ride the bus!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
It really depends on the situation and the child. My oldest son was obsessed with swear words. I simply wanted him to let go of the obsession, so we created "Cussing Wednesday". He could cuss as much as he wanted on Wednesday (at home) with no consequences. After the 2nd or 3rd Wednesday, it wasn't fun anymore and the obsession was over. We never allowed name-calling (and still don't), that would not have been tolorated. He simply wanted to say "****" after he knocked over his legos or "****" when he took one. This was pretty short lived, he is now 16 and I never hear him swear.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My oldest son was obsessed with swear words. I simply wanted him to let go of the obsession, so we created "Cussing Wednesday". He could cuss as much as he wanted on Wednesday (at home) with no consequences.
Debi, that is hysterical! How old was he at the time?
So did she spend the entire day chanting "**** f*ck **** hell"? :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts