Just Labradors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one tonight and DD said this morning she isn't going and DH never has went to one, he works late. I get to the point why even bother going myself? I will go I always have and most of those times I really didn't even talk to all the teachers. I only really deal with the ones that my kids were having a time in their class.

Tonight it is and always the math and science teachers. DD is having a horrible time with Algebra...I have no clue what needs to happen. All I get from her is " I DON'T get it......." I have talked to her and the teacher together and still nothing changes:yell:

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Take heart...I never got Algebra either. Who the hell mixes letter and numbers? As long as she can figure out how to pay her bills later in life don't sweat it.

And don't even get me started on Geometry. ((((shudder))))

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I would talk to the teachers involved, get a recommendation on a book that may aid the instruction, and be ready to commit yourself to learning algebra again and working with your daughter. It will pay off down the road for both of you. A big benefit is when you show your kids that you care and give up your time to help, it pays back to you downstream for a long time and many times over. The school can not do it all.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We go see all of the teachers, I would rather hear good things and see good grades than only see the bad ones :). My kids don't go, but my husband goes with me; normally we divide up the list so he sees 1/2 the teachers and I see the other half. My son has struggled with Chemistry this year, and has had to do TONS of extra work just to pass. We were talking about it over the weekend, and he said, "I feel like the class is taught in Chinese, and I don't speak Chinese." His teacher is very young, and I have talked to him multiple times about the problems. He only seems to be able to explain things one way, and when the kids don't get it . . . too bad. The teacher told me that Kyle doesn't try. We had conferences a couple of weeks ago, and we talked to all of his teachers and took notes about what the teachers said (enthusiastic, participates in class discussions, asks questions, etc.). We visited the Chemistry teacher last (together), and stood in line FOREVER! The teacher started the same crap about him not paying attention, not participating, not trying, etc. We pulled out the grade sheets from the other classes (with our notes about what the teachers said), and showed him that this is the only class that he is getting a bad grade in and the only teacher that had negitive things to say. He seemed a little surprised and didn't know what to say, but did say that he would try to explain things in a different way. I really don't like him so I requested that Kyle be switched to a different class. He is taking the exam today, but next trimester he will have a different teacher.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i changed schools mid-year when i had algebra. the change in teachers made all the difference in the world. i went from a C to an A. i just needed someone who explained it so that i understood. not sure if thats an option for you, but i thought it might be worth considering.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
The teacher is everything. I am horrible at math. The only time I ever got an A in math was in 8th grade. Miss Miller rocked. Yes, I remeber her name, she really made an impression on me. I was a good student except for math. It's amazing I graduated from college. Why the heck did I have to take Quanitative Methods? I never have and never will graph anything or do problems like that!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
The option of switching to a class with another teacher is a great one. Sometimes there is a chemistry problem between two individuals, sometimes a slightly different technique can be key. But parents still need to work with their kids, the school cannot do it all. Has an outside tutor been considered?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I never got algebra either. I took it every year in highschool and never passed it. I was so frustrated. My teacher told my parents (when I was a senior, repeating the danged class for the 4th time) that I just didn't have a math aptitude, and I don't and never have. He suggested I stop beating myself up over it and move on, which I did.

Oddly enough I went on to college and excelled in chemistry classes and anatomy and physiology and biology. But without the math, I couldn't go on to be a vet... so I got a degree as a medical assistant, and never used my degree... fell into computer work instead.

Life just kinda rolls sometimes, and you have to roll with it.

·
Registered
11,989 Posts
I can tell you that I would have taken a different direction in college if I felt that I was capable of doing math. The reality is that I am completely capable - I just thought I was not due to my experience with math from 3rd grade on (mostly because of one really bad teacher). I bombed in HS Chemistry because of my math mental block.

If she masters this at her age - she will be a more confident student and will be more likely to work through obstacles in the future.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I took lots of math classes, all the way through calculus and calculus-based statistics. I never really had problems in math until I had a really bad teacher for calculus - he did not speak properly, was sloppy and was never clear. :(

I would see if maybe there is a tutor available to help - someone she knows (heck, maybe even a friend who is good at it??).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.