Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had one before? Maybe they are the new norm for interviews, but I havent interviewed for a job in 18 yrs. and I have one on Monday for a job I have applied for:faint2: It is a job I currently do on in our dept as a relief, but I have applied to have the position on a regular basis. I think I have a pretty good shot at it if I can keep from passing out or throwing up:puke: It will be a panel of 8, including some of my peers, any suggests would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Oh God! Let me tell you - interviews have changed! I just applied for the "clinic lead" position in our physical therapy department. It's not a big position - just taking care of the daily running of things, someone to dispense information etc. I was the only one who applied, and really, was going to get the job, but they wanted me to do an "official" interview, just so everything was Kosher. My interview was with just 3 other people, all of whom were co-workers from another site and my supervisor - very laid back - shouldn't have been that bad - right? NOOOOOOOOOOO........ I was not at all prepared for the interview style, and not sure I could have been. They sat with a list of questions in front of them and took turns reading them. "Tell me about a time you disagreed with someone" What did you do? Tell me about a time you did something embarrassing - what did you do? Tell me about a time you were creative . Tell me about a time were were late for something - what could you have done" Tell me about .......... You get the picture. No "what are your strong points, what are you weak points, what make you qualified for this job - No - just "tell me about a time stuff. I can't think of clever stories on my feet - I actually couldn't think of anything to say about the first quesiton, so I just plowed on with what I "would have done" in that situation. I felt that even the "wrong answer" was better than dead silence. I finally started draggin up stories about SU and me and had a really funny one that made tham laugh. But at the end of the interview I felt like crying, having a drink, and telling them that I didn't even want the job in that order. I will never be able to interview for another job in my life if that is what interviews are like. So - now that I have completely made you fell better, I know that your interview probably won't be like that at all - but that is how they are at our hospital right now. Just be ready to make up stories!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We do them when we hire where I work. Panel of four. Two management, one office, one plant person. My boss tries to make them as low pressure and casual as he can. They're nice that way, but we have standardized questions we have to ask. Only a little wiggle room. So it's not up to us what to ask the person. My suggestion is to relax and be yourself. That's your greatest asset.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh God! Let me tell you - interviews have changed! I just applied for the "clinic lead" position in our physical therapy department. It's not a big position - just taking care of the daily running of things, someone to dispense information etc. I was the only one who applied, and really, was going to get the job, but they wanted me to do an "official" interview, just so everything was Kosher. My interview was with just 3 other people, all of whom were co-workers from another site and my supervisor - very laid back - shouldn't have been that bad - right? NOOOOOOOOOOO........ I was not at all prepared for the interview style, and not sure I could have been. They sat with a list of questions in front of them and took turns reading them. "Tell me about a time you disagreed with someone" What did you do? Tell me about a time you did something embarrassing - what did you do? Tell me about a time you were creative . Tell me about a time were were late for something - what could you have done" Tell me about .......... You get the picture. No "what are your strong points, what are you weak points, what make you qualified for this job - No - just "tell me about a time stuff. I can't think of clever stories on my feet - I actually couldn't think of anything to say about the first quesiton, so I just plowed on with what I "would have done" in that situation. I felt that even the "wrong answer" was better than dead silence. I finally started draggin up stories about SU and me and had a really funny one that made tham laugh. But at the end of the interview I felt like crying, having a drink, and telling them that I didn't even want the job in that order. I will never be able to interview for another job in my life if that is what interviews are like. So - now that I have completely made you fell better, I know that your interview probably won't be like that at all - but that is how they are at our hospital right now. Just be ready to make up stories!
That is exactly what I am afraid of and with 8 people! I have also been told " it will be laid back" " informal"- UGH!!!! I just know it will be the same as yours.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We do them when we hire where I work. Panel of four. Two management, one office, one plant person. My boss tries to make them as low pressure and casual as he can. They're nice that way, but we have standardized questions we have to ask. Only a little wiggle room. So it's not up to us what to ask the person. My suggestion is to relax and be yourself. That's your greatest asset.
That's what I keep telling myself, I am who I am, can't change that- for the good or the bad ; )

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and another dilemma, I'm still in my ankle brace and have only worn tennis shoes for 4 months- I have no shoes that I can fit my brace in, and I certainly can't wear any heels or very dressy shoes. Do I go out and buy a brand new pair of shoes that I will most likely never wear again. if I can even find a shoe the brace will work with, man I just want Monday to be over!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Last question first. I think you know most of the people involved. They know what you look like, they know how you dress for work, they probably know about your brace. Don't go buying any new shoes.

Two reasons for the interview process change. When you talk with everyone at once, it takes less of their time, and less of yours. Everyone hears the same things. One person is likely to be the decision maker and will listen a lot and at some point, maybe immediately post interview, ask the others for feedback regarding specific questions.

The prepared questions: Some interviewers are not very good at it, so the wonderful HR reps and consulants have prepared the list of questions that should be asked for the position available. Also, legal issues prevent certain questions, topics, from being explored. Company can be sued under certain circumstances if the wrong questions get asked, or asked in the worng way. i.e. age. Dumb! The person has 40 years experience working, not likely under 40 years old. Probably around 60, maybe older.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last question first. I think you know most of the people involved. They know what you look like, they know how you dress for work, they probably know about your brace. Don't go buying any new shoes.

Two reasons for the interview process change. When you talk with everyone at once, it takes less of their time, and less of yours. Everyone hears the same things. One person is likely to be the decision maker and will listen a lot and at some point, maybe immediately post interview, ask the others for feedback regarding specific questions.

The prepared questions: Some interviewers are not very good at it, so the wonderful HR reps and consulants have prepared the list of questions that should be asked for the position available. Also, legal issues prevent certain questions, topics, from being explored. Company can be sued under certain circumstances if the wrong questions get asked, or asked in the worng way. i.e. age. Dumb! The person has 40 years experience working, not likely under 40 years old. Probably around 60, maybe older.
Thanks Ed, yes most folks know what I wear- usually scrubs, and yes tennis shoes go well with them. But scrubs won't work for the interview, so I'll think of a plan without spending much money or time worrying about it:smile: I guess the tough part is, I have worked with most of these folks for 18+ yrs. what can I tell them that they don't already know, we work in a tight knit ER. We are family away from home, they know my faults as well as my assets, we have laughed together and cried together on many of occasions, so what do I tell them that they don't already know. The funny thing is I have no problem running a crazy busy ER, but put in front a few folks and have them start throwing questions at me and I'm mush!!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I'm sorry. I also hate interviews. I had one at a company in downtown Toronto. I was also told it would be informal. It would have been if it had only been one person and not the crazy chick who thought up HR style questions. "Why do you want this position?" Well dumbass, I'm currently unemployed having arrived in the GTA via Japan after 8 years in Vancouver. Why do you think I want a job? But I digress. I certainly hope it goes well. Have lots of stories prepared and don't worry about your shoes.

The next worst interview I had was at K-Mart. I was just interviewing for a job over Christmas straightening items in the store. I got the whole HR like BS questions and a psychological quiz to boot. Halfway through I was so pissed off that I started throwing questions. I mean really the quiz was really, really dumb. It was about 80 questions. Every 10 questions were repeated about 8 times. Basically "Would you steal? Why do people steal? over and over and over again ad nauseam. I didn't get the job because I was so angry about the demeaning nature of the quiz and and the interview. Didn't really want the job anyways........

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Well I guess it does help that you know most, if not all, of the people who will be interviewing you. I had one last year with a bunch of managers - it was nerve-racking but it was okay after all.. they asked pretty standard questions.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I guess it does help that you know most, if not all, of the people who will be interviewing you. I had one last year with a bunch of managers - it was nerve-racking but it was okay after all.. they asked pretty standard questions.
I'm thinking the standard questions might have changed in 18 yrs.:lol:[ I did take care of the shoe problem though:clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Good luck Di. Just relax, be yourself and you will be fine. They have started that at our hospital. They call it "peer interviews" plus some VP's of nursing & the manager of the department. Is that what your interview will be?
Oh & they have become big on "goals." They always ask what your goals are. It probably will be much better for you since you know & work with these people.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck Di. Just relax, be yourself and you will be fine. They have started that at our hospital. They call it "peer interviews" plus some VP's of nursing & the manager of the department. Is that what your interview will be?
Oh & they have become big on "goals." They always ask what your goals are. It probably will be much better for you since you know & work with these people.
My goal everyday at work is plain and simple " survival" for the pt's, my coworkers and myself :lol:
The panel will consist of my manager, the ER director of physicians- who is/has been one of our doc's for as long as I have worked in the ER. Our education director, and two of our charge nurses- all I have worked with forever. One of our unit sec/techs. she works in both positions, and has been in the dept. the fewest years. Oh and one of our " house" nursing supervisors. I know all of them well, but still do not want to take anything for granted, so I have been reading up on potential questions, and preparing the best I can. It is far more nerve racking then a full ER with incoming Ambulances:fear:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
My goal everyday at work is plain and simple " survival" for the pt's, my coworkers and myself :lol:
The panel will consist of my manager, the ER director of physicians- who is/has been one of our doc's for as long as I have worked in the ER. Our education director, and two of our charge nurses- all I have worked with forever. One of our unit sec/techs. she works in both positions, and has been in the dept. the fewest years. Oh and one of our " house" nursing supervisors. I know all of them well, but still do not want to take anything for granted, so I have been reading up on potential questions, and preparing the best I can. It is far more nerve racking then a full ER with incoming Ambulances:fear:
Might that be because when under that kind of fire, you are thinking about the patients and doing your job, but now you are thinking about preparing yoruself for this trauma you perceive? You are going to do fine. Keep doing your preparation, it will occupy your mind and lessen the stress. When is this interview?

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might that be because when under that kind of fire, you are thinking about the patients and doing your job, but now you are thinking about preparing yoruself for this trauma you perceive? You are going to do fine. Keep doing your preparation, it will occupy your mind and lessen the stress. When is this interview?
Monday at noon. You are so right, I have worked for years in this environment, its second nature- the more chaos the better- well sort of!! I can still be in control, in fact we always laugh about the " controlled chaos" . This, well I have no clue what to expect, so the control is gone- oh well it is what it is and whatever happens at least I still have a job, and for that I am very thankful! Thanks so much for the encouragement, I do appreciate it!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That could be a problem. :shocked: Sorry, but someone had to be the party pooper! :tongue1:

What have you got planned for the foot?
Ignoring it has been working pretty well:frusty: Actually this new position would have me at work one less day- and a "little" more time off the foot! So physically not quite as demanding. I do a little more delegating and slightly less floor time. The ankle is still a work in progress, and I'm still not out of the " surgical" woods. The other person who is also applying for the job will be taking 2 months off when his wife has a baby, so that shouldn't be a factor in the decision. Luckily or not for me, all of those on the panel know me very well, the good, the bad and the ugly:shocked:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have done many of these interviews - inn fact I can't remember the last time I had a single person interview. Part of the reason why they do this with set questions as well is to have a balanced approach and to 'prevent' favourtism - having more than one person provids checks and balances. The questions are decided and previously weigthed then they are marked as you answer them. This also providesan element of "objectiveness" hiring process. If there are questions they can go back ans say "see the person who got the position said this and this and was marked at X and that is why they got the job". One thing to remember is that you need to say it all - pretend these people don' t know you or what you are capable of. If they ask how to dial a phone explain every step . First you walk to the phone, then you pick it up, then you push the button with the number 1 then you push the button with the number ....and so on. This way if they are looking for key words or soemthing specific you are more likely to hit it.

Keep in mind I have not done a hospital/health care profession based interview but I would think they are looking for your competencies. Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour so when they ask provide an examlpe of a time when you were in a blah blah situation, what happened, what did you do and what was the end result? Waht woudl you have done differently? This gives them an opportunity to see if you know what you are doing since you have already done it. This is vs the question what woudl yo do if.....I coudl answer the text book answewr showing I know what to do but if I havent' dont it will I actually be able to do the text book answer? This is the difference they are trying to determine if that makes any sense.

I would probably in your mind go through recent things you have dealt with in the ER an" ideal" difficult situation that you can provide, or a staffing issue etc. Or just review some of the things that have gone on and cases you have recently dealt with to have them fresh in your mind. Never be afraid to ask for a reapeat of the question ro to go to the next question and come back - this provides you a bit of time to think if yo need it. Don't be afraid to let the room go silent while you think of an answer or example and even say -" let me think....." so they know that is what you are doing. I know this is different than wha tyo have done in the past but you will do well! Just be positive and prepared and it will all go smooth. Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have done many of these interviews - inn fact I can't remember the last time I had a single person interview. Part of the reason why they do this with set questions as well is to have a balanced approach and to 'prevent' favourtism - having more than one person provids checks and balances. The questions are decided and previously weigthed then they are marked as you answer them. This also providesan element of "objectiveness" hiring process. If there are questions they can go back ans say "see the person who got the position said this and this and was marked at X and that is why they got the job". One thing to remember is that you need to say it all - pretend these people don' t know you or what you are capable of. If they ask how to dial a phone explain every step . First you walk to the phone, then you pick it up, then you push the button with the number 1 then you push the button with the number ....and so on. This way if they are looking for key words or soemthing specific you are more likely to hit it.

Keep in mind I have not done a hospital/health care profession based interview but I would think they are looking for your competencies. Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour so when they ask provide an examlpe of a time when you were in a blah blah situation, what happened, what did you do and what was the end result? Waht woudl you have done differently? This gives them an opportunity to see if you know what you are doing since you have already done it. This is vs the question what woudl yo do if.....I coudl answer the text book answewr showing I know what to do but if I havent' dont it will I actually be able to do the text book answer? This is the difference they are trying to determine if that makes any sense.

I would probably in your mind go through recent things you have dealt with in the ER an" ideal" difficult situation that you can provide, or a staffing issue etc. Or just review some of the things that have gone on and cases you have recently dealt with to have them fresh in your mind. Never be afraid to ask for a reapeat of the question ro to go to the next question and come back - this provides you a bit of time to think if yo need it. Don't be afraid to let the room go silent while you think of an answer or example and even say -" let me think....." so they know that is what you are doing. I know this is different than wha tyo have done in the past but you will do well! Just be positive and prepared and it will all go smooth. Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes!
Thanks - you gave alot of helpful information, I can only hope that I remember 1/4 of it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts