Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fish to pan fry tonight and it NEVER turns out right!! I have no clue what I am doing wrong. Any help?

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
That is what I would do, too. Maybe someone else knows a better oil to use. Does it get overcooked? Why isn't it turning out right?

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Jinx said:
That is what I would do, too. Maybe someone else knows a better oil to use. Does it get overcooked? Why isn't it turning out right?
My questions too...also, what type of fish? filet, or whole fish?

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Small whole fish...gutted of course ;D I always turn it and maybe I turn it too much because the breading always comes off in the skillet ::) Then I never know if it's done on the inside

·
Registered
202 Posts
When you Pan fry just dont get it to hot(unless your making blackened redfish),Id suggest staying under med-high heat...but get the oil a little hot before you fry,test it by throwing a pinch of batter in it,make sure it sizzles a bit but if it browns real quick then turn it down.Id shoot for between med and med high heat.

Not sure which fish you have,or the size of it but you pretty much just fry until golden brown..depending on a few things like type and size of fish,fileted or whole etc...aswell as what batter you plan to use.

I deep fry mostly but pan fry if Im encrusting with nuts(pecans),or using bread crumbs,or just frying a small amount.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I would turn just once. Also, you may want to coat w/flour instead of breading.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
If you are losing your coating it is because you fish is to wet (I know fish like water) when you bread it. Take a piece of paper towel and pat you fish dry before breading it. Then dredge the fish in either flour or cornstarch shake off excess dip in egg wash and then in bread crumbs. Or if you want just light coating skip the egg wash and bread crumb step. Put fish in a hot pan with hot oil. It will stick to both a cold pan or soak up a lot of grease if the oil is cold. Shake the pan for about 10 seconds after putting the fish in (tip from Alton Brown) helps it not stick also. Then let it brown until you are ready to turn it. Only turn it ONCE.

My mum's from Newfoundland and her whole family were fisherman so she cooks a mean piece of fish.

G

·
another tip is to heat the pan BEFORE you put in the oil. If you put the oil in a cold pan then you are more likely to have the food stick to the pan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts