Just Labradors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if I can paint over the block walls in my basement that have already been painted? The paint is old and peeling and I'd like to redo it. First I thought I'd have to strip it off, after researching that, it ain't happenin! So if I sand off the rough flaky stuff, can I just paint over it?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
You want to make sure there isn't anything (like old adhesive) or leaky damp sites remaining on the concrete to cause your new paint to flake off. You'll want to use a made-for-concrete paint or marine paint.

We thought we were SO careful in prepping the front porch of Wooserie House when Tud painted it in '05 and the paint began washing (chipping!) off after the first rain! It's just as well it began flaking away... the color was ALL wrong and I've hated it ever since. (Tud hated the color, too. Home Depot sold us the wrong stuff.)

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I painted some cinder blocks for a fish tank stand. I just used regular latex paint. It worked fine but really soaked in the paint. I wonder if there is a sealant (like killz) that you could put on first?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I needed a moisture barrier so went and bought Drylok only to find out you can't put that on walls that are already painted. They guy also said it's next to impossible to get all of the old paint off, so I was going to wire brush it and paint over it. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
If the blocks aren't properly sealed on the exterior, the moisture that will be migrating through the block due to exterior groundwater will make short work of the paint. Make sure there's no moisture in the block and then you'll need to do as Colin mentioned.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the blocks aren't properly sealed on the exterior, the moisture that will be migrating through the block due to exterior groundwater will make short work of the paint. Make sure there's no moisture in the block and then you'll need to do as Colin mentioned.
How do I do this? I can't dig up my foundation. I know what you're saying though. I think this wasn't done properly the first time, that's why the paint is peeling off. I read up on how to strip the old paint of so I could put sealer on and it's not an easy process. You have to use chemicals and wear a respirator and it can't be done in the winter, has to have proper ventillation. Plus my basement is huge. I can't see me putting us or the animals in contact with those chemicals.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Feel the walls. If they're damp, then chances are there isn't proper waterproofing applied to the outside. As far as I know, the only proper cure for this is to expose the exterior of your foundations and apply proper membranes and drainage. Anything less and you'd be wasting your time. If the foundations were cast in place concrete you could use a product like Xypex, but I'm not sure that it is the solution for concrete block.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only place there is dampness is in the one back corner. That is actually right where the french drain is. It's also where our coal cellar, for lack of a better term, is on the other side. So it would be feasible to empty the coal and coat that wall from the other side to keep the moisture from the other side of the basement wall. Know what I mean? That's a good idea. The rest of the basement is dry, so maybe I'll chance painting over that. Even if it only lasts a few years, it's only a couple gallons of paint. Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.