Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at all of the pics and noticed that many people on this forum have more than one dog. For those that do, do you seem to have issues when you take all dogs out together somewhere? I have 2 labs and a Rotweiller. They all have gone through several Obedience classes and have the AKC CGC certificate, so they definitely know their commands....but when they are all together..... wow- that is interesting. We have a boat and when I only take one out, it is so easy.....each of the dogs behave (because they are by themselves). But if I take 2 or all of them out together..forget it! If one barks,they all go crazy and bark. All they want to do it play constantly. don't listen all the time....any advice? My male choc lab (Rusty) is the worst...he even looks stressed out when all dogs are out with him. Just to give you an example....i have attached a pic of Rusty by himself on the boat...he is totally chillin.

I don't know if this matters, but Rusty and Cody are littermates.

when they get together, this is all they want to do:

·
Registered
786 Posts
hehe.
I have two rottweilers and a labrador and yes, they act like retards when they are all together. It is much easier with one at a time but I can take two on a walk together as long as I don't meet a loose dog, which is often so if I walk two together it is done early in the morning.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think it depends a lot on the individuals within the "pack". For example, I have 4 dogs. Three Labradors, one Collie cross. They don't have particularly challenging personalities, perhaps with the exception of my Maisy who is as stubborn as an Ox. Aside from Miss Maisy, they are all very willing to please and loyal which means they don't cause trouble when out together. On the flip side I can see that multiple dogs with very strong/independent personalities might be harder to control when out with the "pack".

I know a Spaniel breeder who cannot exercise her dogs together. Individually they are fine but when they are together they are a nightmare. Running up and barking at other dogs and generally acting totally out of control. Because they don't do either of those things individually I can imagine that being with the "pack" gives them confidence. This is why plenty of alone time away from the "pack" is important for multi dog families.

As for advice, I would start by taking 2 dogs out as apposed to all 3.

Is this for on or off leash walking?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Hi everyone!

I am a huge Cesar Millan Fan (as I'm sure that some others here are as well!) and he offers great tips and advice for being able to control multiple dogs in a pack state. (he also has great advice on lots of other stuff too!)

Here's the link to his website:
http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

Also, the show "dog whisperer" is on National Geographic sundays at 10 pm (it's my favorite show ever!)

hope that helps!

- Kate

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I swear my two have ruined my Mastiff foster..he was so calm and such a nice greeter when he came to me..now 3 months later he's as obnoxious as Gunny. I trained Gunny to grab his ball so he's not mouthing and licking everyone as he beats them up with his wagging tail..but Cuj doesn't like any particular type of toy. Even if I put them in seperate rooms and bring them out one at a time they greet each other better. First Autumn starts it with that part hound dog AROOO...then the boys go crazy. If she isn't there the boys barely bark. It's really hard for me to take all 3 anywhere together, especially because Cuj needs his own seat in the car. I've walked 2 at a time. All the dogs are good on a leash alone..together Gunny always tries to lead the pack..including me. It's just easier to take one at a time.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Overall, it's OK with 3; but I have to admit there are times when it's easier with 2 and/or I don't take them all with me. If I am with my husband, 3 is OK, but alone, I usually don't do more than 2.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I hear ya, Deneen. Stella is a ruined girl. :-\ Every bad habit Max had....she now has.

Max is a great dog, but so many issues due to lack of socialization as a pup (previous owners, not me.) When they're at the fence, and they see someone or another dog, Max turns to Otis and tries to rip his face off. It's just out of excitement, but it's so embarrassing. I try to take 1 or 2 with me at a time.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have 4, and they all can "feed" off each other, when it comes to getting excited. You need to teach them a command to "settle" or "calm down"........ take a deep breath yourself, relax, and don't move until they settle down...... I cannot just take one and not the others, so they ALL have to behave when they are together. You just need to insist on it,..... practice it......

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trickster said:
I think it depends a lot on the individuals within the "pack". For example, I have 4 dogs. Three Labradors, one Collie cross. They don't have particularly challenging personalities, perhaps with the exception of my Maisy who is as stubborn as an Ox. Aside from Miss Maisy, they are all very willing to please and loyal which means they don't cause trouble when out together. On the flip side I can see that multiple dogs with very strong/independent personalities might be harder to control when out with the "pack".

I know a Spaniel breeder who cannot exercise her dogs together. Individually they are fine but when they are together they are a nightmare. Running up and barking at other dogs and generally acting totally out of control. Because they don't do either of those things individually I can imagine that being with the "pack" gives them confidence. This is why plenty of alone time away from the "pack" is important for multi dog families.

As for advice, I would start by taking 2 dogs out as apposed to all 3.

Is this for on or off leash walking?
They are always on a leash, except when I take them on the boat. I can only handle one out at a time. they are CRAZY when they are all together. I see that it is pretty normal from the other posts. I wish there was something I can do....because I always feel bad when I take one and the others are at home.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
They're just like kids...one on one, they're one way but go out to recess and you get a whole other animal ;) It's also a different ball game if they're on leash vs. off.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I pat each of you on the back.

I have the one lab, and really wanted a second. We fostered a lab for one week. (only 7 days). I saw a drastic change occur in Rocket, and have to admit, while I loved having the second dog around - I missed my old Rocket the whole time. I realized I'm not cut out for two dogs at once.

Rocket is my best buddy. I look forward to going home and seeing him in the evening, and taking him places with me as much as I can, including obedience school, pet stores and dog parks. He's by my side constantly when I'm at home, and I really couldn't tell you who eats the other up more - him or me.

When we had the second dog, I did see that "pack mentality" kick in. Rocket wasn't the alpha, and he was more preoccupied with the other dog that with me. I know I'm selfish, but I prefer having Rocket to myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts