Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH's truck just failed inspection. It's only 3 years old! and has over 155k miles on it from work.
The station just called and said it needs 1400$ worth of repairs! bearing, rotor, and something else...tires (we knew this), wipers(not a biggie)

He travels so much for work and they do not provide a vehicle. So basically a fairly new truck is now trash.

1400 bucks...GRRRRR We were SO not prepared for this after replacing stuff for the pool and getting new propane tanks.
It's always something...

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
That pretty much sucks! Will his work pay for any of it since it's a work vehicle?

B

·
0 Posts
Holy chit they do some kind of ridiculous inspection in PA! The most detailed inspections I've ever seen are emissions, tires, wipers, signals, etc. Since when do they inspect your brakes and bearings?? Was this a shop you took it to? I would take it to another shop to get inspected if it was a shop...I had an inspector at a shop here do an inspection, tell me one story of many repairs I needed, I took it to another shop and it was ALLL B.S. I needed none of the work that first guy said I did.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Luckily in NJ mechanics do not do inspections. we go to an inspection station and I don't think they are as thorough as a mechanic.
Susan, did you go to a mechanic you know and trust? If not, I know a good one right near my office.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
There are lot of shady mechanics out there. That's my experience, anyway. When we first moved to Pittsburgh, I took it for a safety inspection and was told that we needed all kinds of stuff. I then took it to someone who was more highly recommended, and he said that he could find no evidence of any of the "defects" (which were obvious things like worn-out belts) the previous mechanic had found. That guy got my business for the next four years, even though he was a little more expensive than the others in the neighborhood.

A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
We don't have to have inspections here, which is nice.

Of course, it also leads to the guy I got behind yesterday blowing so much smoke out his exhaust pipe I nearly choked.

B

·
0 Posts
Nathan, you are so right. I have an excellent mechanic, but his hours and distance away from where I live in this new house are forcing me to search for a new one. I'm trying him out as we speak, working on my a/c that has quit on my truck.

So far I hate him, or rather the person who sort of answers his phone. She's a beotch. I know as much about the truck as most mechanics do...so she's going to get an earful when I go to pay for this repair. I can only hope the work they do is actually getting done and is done well.

I think I'll be moving mountains to go back to my mechanic despite the PITA it is to get there and find a ride back to work, etc.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We have safety and emissions inspections in New York also. They are performed by the garages as well.

You failed your inspection take your temporary (10 day pass in NY) and go have it reinspected somewhere else. Don't say a word about what the first garage says was wrong. Compare the two and see where you're at.
Go from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts