Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was maybe about 5 years old, before we moved to a farm in Vermont, I thought all dogs are males and all cats are females and that they were the same species, just different looks ::) ???

But when Puff and I meet people, probably 90% of the strangers who comment on her (either to me or their children or companions) use male pronouns ("what's his name?" "can I pet him?" "he's pretty" etc. Occasionally a gender pronoun is left out entirely and I can't remember if anyone has ever, in such a situation, called Puff a her or she.

I'm curious how often other owners of female Labs get the same reaction? Or am I just living in a belt of immature, puerile thinkers?

=====================================================================================

UPDATE, As of 9:52 AM on Jul 4th, my crude tallies gave:

Female Lab called "he" ------------------------------23

Male Lab called "she"--------------------------------- 7

People call dogs the gender they're accustomed to ---- 4

Thought all anmals were female ----------------------- 1

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Re: Owners of female Labs: Do strangers assume she's a male?

Not really what you asked. But Mambo is called a girl all the time. Even when he has his collar that says I am a boy on. Oh and its blue.

When I was younger I thought all cats where girls.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts

I used to think all animals were female. I think it was because they were all so cute.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts

Yep Boo is ALWAYS called a he and Rush is about 90% of the time. I always ask before so I can at least get the gender right. To me they look female but, they are my girls. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts

Ellie always gets called a "he".
Even with her faux pink Burbery collar on! ::)

·
Registered
746 Posts

I have witnessed a similar thing here. But overall I find that most people who use a sex pronoun regarding an unfamiliar dog use the one they are most used to. For example, many people have only owned females and are so used to using "she" and "her" that they just use them without thinking. I usually make an obvious comment like "good boy" to Kody if someone assumes he is a girl and they get the hint. ;)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts

Yes, usually non-lab people use male pro-nouns when talking about my dogs in the same ways you've described..."what's his name?" Most people I run into who own labs usually assume my dogs are all females. Darwin is 22" and about 70lbs. Most people think labs are a large breed and often tell me about the 120lb lab they have at home that comes up to their waist...so to them, my "small" dog must be a female...lol

I don't think much of it because I find it incredibly hard to think of a poodle (of any size) of being a male ;)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

Jeep274 said:
I But overall I find that most people who use a sex pronoun regarding an unfamiliar dog use the one they are most used to. For example, many people have only owned females and are so used to using "she" and "her" that they just use them without thinking. I usually make an obvious comment like "good boy" to Kody if someone assumes he is a girl and they get the hint. ;)
I was thinking the same thing as I read this. I notice I say "he" or "him" a lot to other dogs and cats because I have a male cat and dog. I'm used to saying those pronouns. I agree that a good part of the reason is probably people having that gender of an animal.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts

People think Simba is a boy until I correct them. I think they try to go by their name.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts

Rookie is always mistaken for a female...Rider isn't.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts

They get mine all mixed up too people call Mocha him/he and I've had them call Zeus "her"
Mocha always has a purple collar on and Zeus has Blue on I would think they could at least tell by that.
I normally try to ask or I don't use any gender discription.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

Dani said:
Rookie is always mistaken for a female...Rider isn't.
Hey his sister was accused of being a male at the beach the other day LOL

In fact both Lily and Rhumba where. Lily in my eyes is very feminine...so I did not get that.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Bob Pr. said:
When I was maybe about 5 years old, before we moved to a farm in Vermont, I thought all dogs are males and all cats are females and that they were the same species, just different looks ::) ???
Me too!

Baloo always gets called a girl. Even when I've corrected people, they usually still use female pro-nouns. ::)

Ah well. I tell him it's 'cause he's so pretty! :-*

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Bob Pr. said:
Me too!

Baloo always gets called a girl. Even when I've corrected people, they usually still use female pro-nouns. ::)

Ah well. I tell him it's 'cause he's so pretty! :-*

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

sorry 'bout the double post... forum still not working great for me. :(

·
Registered
29,548 Posts

Not usually. People usually say "him/her" and look underneath for the parts on the girls. Nobody mistakes Seamus for a female. His head and body are definitely masculine.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Yes, always. Raven usually wears pink collars or flowered ones and everyone still always says "he". Even my parents, who obviously know she is a girl, still say "he"! I've gotten used to it and don't even correct any more.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Abby is called a "he" all the time too. Even if when talking to people I will say, "Her name is Abby.." Then they still call her a HE.. I've just gotten used to it, I guess.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Hudler and Maddy are rarely confused with the opposite sex.

Grace however is often called "he", but she looks very masculine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts