Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there have been several new additions to my extended family in the last few weeks. Mom & Dad got Franki a Mini Australian Shepherd, then we have Sonja a 7 week old Visla puppy and Akos her brother that belong to friends. The trouble is with Saferella! She gets so excited and tries to snuffle them so hard or play with them and its way too overzealous for the puppies. One weekend she kept doing bitey face with Franki and I just kept my hand in the way so she didn't overwhelm Franki. How do I help Saff learn what the appropriate excitement levels for visiting with the puppies is? So far I've been keeping Saff leashed or making sure the puppies are on my lap during visits. I was hoping she would tune into things and mellow out on her own... but its not working to well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any advice.
Usually dogs know intuitively to be gentle with little pups. Not sure what the best way is to get Saff to interact appropriately.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Keep yours leashed so you can control her. Older puppies can hurt very small ones and are not always capable of goverrning the intensity of their play.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for tryin! I keep Saff leashed up, she just is such a goon. Buck who is only about 4 months older than Saffy knows how to play politely. My girl just doesn't seem to be getting a clue real soon.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
You are doing the right thing by keeping her leashed. Sometimes the bigger dogs can hurt the little pups unintentionally ....just because of their size & plahyfulness. wait till those pups grow, they may give her a run for her money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts