Just Labradors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted here in awhile. But I have a question. But first an explanation of whats going on.

I live in Minnesota and up until recently it's been very very cold. I haven't been walking Odie or playing fetch with him outside. The most exercise he's had over the past few months is a little fetch a few times a week in the hallway in the house. I feel bad about it, but whenever I tried to play fetch out in the backyard despite the cold he didn't stay interested for long and wanted to go back inside where it was warm.

So anyway, he went to the vet last week for his yearly checkup. He's 1 year and 4 months old. Everything checked out good except the vet said he was "chunky" He weighs 67 pounds and the vet said she wants him closer to 60lbs. He's small for a lab. She said he should have more of an hourglass shape in his hips and his ribs should be easily felt.

The weather here is getting nicer. Today it actually hit 67 degrees. I figured I'd take him for a walk. Last summer I used to take him for a 3 mile walk without a problem. But today we only made it about 1.5 miles. He was panting like crazy and by the end of the walk he was actually falling behind, finding it hard to keep up. I've never heard of a dog being out of shape, and having trouble exercising, but I suppose just like humans, it's entirely possible. I've vowed that I'm going to start walking him every day progressivly stepping up the distance as time goes on. Any tips or advice? I don't want to push him too hard. I'm afraid I'll induce a heart attack or something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.