Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have finally sorted out flights and dates for our honeymoon although they are subject to change we believe we'll be overseas from 5th April - 10th May ... so 33 days all up. But if I can get 2 more days then I will try to! 35 days is our aim.. I just have to con work into being ok with it. Haha!

So ... as of today Monday 8th June this is how we will travel for our honeymoon:

FLY from Sydney -- Hong Kong -- Munich (stay 2 nights)
FLY to Munich -- Berlin (stay 2 nights)
TRAIN to Berlin -- Brugge (stay 1 night)
TRAIN to Brugge -- Paris (stay 4 nights)
TRAIN to Paris -- Bordeaux (stay 1 night)
TRAIN to Bordeaux -- San Sebastian (stay 2 nights)
TRAIN to San Sebastian -- Barcelona (stay 3 nights)
TRAIN to Barcelona -- Nice (stay 2 nights)
TRAIN to Nice -- Monaco (day trip only)
TRAIN to Nice -- Florence (stay 2 nights)
TRAIN to Florence -- Rome (stay 2 nights)
FLY to Rome -- Athens (stay 1 night)
HYDROFOIL to Athens -- Mykonos (stay 3 nights)
HYDROFOIL to Mykonos -- Santorini (stay 3 nights)
FLY to Santorini -- Athens -- Frankfurt -- Bangkok
FLY to Bangkok -- Koh Samui (stay 4 nights)
FLY to Koh Samui -- Bangkok -- Sydney

That is our itinerary so far... we have not yet booked it. I am sure we'll change our minds at some point haha!! We have our quotes and estimated costs on accommodation and the cost is not as high as we originally thought which is excellent.

Our next job is to figure out exactly what we are hoping to see at each stop and then make sure we have allowed enough time at each before moving on... on average we are spending 2.5 - 3 days in each city (besides the special ones .. Paris, Koh Samui, Greek Islands and Barcelona) so if anyone has any awesome things in the cities we are visiting that you recommend let me know! We are only weeks away from booking the trip so all your input would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers Sarah x

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it feels like TAR writing it all down. We are gonna be buggered at the end of it... hence the 5 days in Koh Samui at the end........ to RELAX!!!!! But it's going to be AWESOME!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
That's awesome :) You're going to have so much fun!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
What a great trip! I did this a couple of times in my 20's and really miss not being able to ever get a big block of time like that anymore.

So here's my two cents having been to most of your European cities. I think you've shortchanged Rome and Athens. They are two of the most fascinating cities in Europe and there is so much to see. They are really different from the rest of Europe and worth some time. Barcelona, unless you have some specific reason for going there, is really nice but it's not Rome. I'd probably take a night from Barcelona and use it in Rome. You might also consider that as great as Mykonos and Santorini are, and they really are great, that they aren't that different from each other once you get past the fact that one has windmills and the other is sitting up on a cliff, and you might steal a night from one of those, probably Santorini if it was my choice, and use it in Athens.

My biggest hint of all, if you haven't taken such a long trip before is to realize that at some point on this trip you are both going to get tired and cranky. It is a fact of life on long trips like that. Even though it's a honeymoon, you're not going to be all happy and bubbly all the time. It's actually worth talking about before you go, that each of you might need a few hours somewhere by yourself and the other person shouldn't get all insulted by it.

And my other hint, don't fall asleep on the train rides. People do that and they miss so much. Europe's not just about the cities; all the inbetween stuff is really interesting, too.

It all sounds great; I'm very envious.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Have a great time!

I have a silly question. How are you going to pack for such a long trip without having to lug a ton of bags all over the place with you?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Wow Sarah I'm so happy for you...and envious!! I've never even been to the coast ha ha!

Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful time!! Does Milly get to go to a grandma's or something for it?

Have a great time! :) I expect tons of pictures!!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Robin gave really good advice.

Also, you're going to need to think about laundry, obviously. Normally we try to pack everything in one suitcase, then pack that into a slightly larger suitcase, so we have less luggage going and then more when we come home (also more room for souvenirs and dirty laundry). Since you are moving around so often, I'd make sure to keep an emergency change of clothes with me at all times in case your luggage gets lost or delayed. You might want to pack some zippered storage bags for stuff like swimsuits or dirty underwear/socks to keep it separate from the clean.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input guys!! I will try and answer everyone's questions.
The reason we have put so much time in Barcelona is because that is the hometown of a Dave's favourite soccer team - FC Barcelona. He wants to spend a day doing tour of their soccer stadium and Spain is the highlight of this trip for him... it is somewhere he really wants to spend some time. He can speak Spanish (not fluently but he is still taking lessons) and he loves Spanish food and wants to spend as much time there as possible.

As for short-changing Rome and Athens -- Dave has been to both cities before (he did a 6 month backpacking trip 5 years ago around the world) and he didn't rate Rome and doesn't want to stay there that long. He also didn't rate Madrid which is why we scrapped it which I was so happy about because it meant that I could add Florence in!!

I only put one day for Athens as Greece is my trip highlight and I wanted to spend as much time on the Greek Islands as I could as my ideal honeymoon spot has always been the Greek Islands. I will definitely consider taking a day off Santorini and staying in Athens longer though, Dave only spent 1 day in Athens and wished he had been there longer so that could work for us both.

We have spoken about the tired/cranky part and we know it will happen. Dave and I communicate very well (if I do say so myself) and he is very aware of my moods and when I am irritable (he usually knows before I do!) and although this is something we are going to have to keep in check we are both aware of it but it's a great point so thank you for raising it!

We have scheduled most of our train trip to be in the morning except for 2 and from memory they are the trips from Nice – Florence and Berlin – Brugge (they all appear to travel overnight as they are 7 hour train trips) and I am hoping to book beds on the trains for those trips… sleeping on a train is something I have ALWAYS wanted to do… sleeping on a train travelling through Europe is just so exciting. LOL…. So I will do my best to be awake for those as I don’t want to miss a thing!!

Colin – I don’t get it?
LOL Missy – I will definitely be sending you a postcard I promise!!! Or do you want to come here and house-sit while we're gone ;)
Melissa – Europe is full of Laundromat’s which we will be taking full advantage off.
Brandie – Milly will be staying with both sets of grandparents for equal duration (we can’t have them fighting over her now can we!) and probably staying with her uncle for a week in between.

Allie – GREAT idea on the emergency clothing. I will definitely be doing that. We are carrying around those backpacks (that you see on TAR hehe) that are huge so hopefully we will be able to have one half full for souvenirs otherwise we’ll look into sending stuff back home by post while we are over there and then waiting for it to arrive when we get home.

From looking at everything written and researching I have one more question for you guys….. Do you think it’s worthwhile removing Koh Samui from our itinerary and spending those extra 5 days in Europe?????? Part of me doesn’t want to go to Koh Samui now, we have both been to Thailand before and it’s so cheap to go back there from Australia. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Hi Sarah,

I threw your itinerary and notes out to some friends to get their input.

Here are some responses.

From Hollie:

Two tips for the European travelers are:
* Paris -- go on the Segway tour of Paris
(http://citysegwaytours.com/paris) -- it's a great way to see part of
the city, get a guided tour without being stuck in a bus, and have a
blast riding a Segway!

* Barcelona -- my must-see is the Segrada Familia cathedral which was
designed by Antoni Gaudi and is still under construction. It is the
most amazing building I've ever seen, and I loved seeing the
construction workers checking blueprints, measuring angles etc. while
I traipsed through. There are other buildings designed by Gaudi in
Barcelona that you can tour as well.

From Jennifer:

San Sebastian has a pretty cool aquarium with a pedestrian tunnel
that goes through their biggest tank, as well as lots of information
about the areas maritime history. The city also has a walkway by the
old harbor with several little restaurants serving tapas and sangria.
I only spent one day there, so I didn't get to see everything, but it
seemed like a beautiful, laid-back old city.

From Diana:

In Paris, I strongly advise checking out La Sainte Chapelle:

http://sainte-chapelle.monuments-nationaux.fr/

It's breathtaking.

If I get anymore responses I'll let you know!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts