Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the off topic, but I'm worried sick about my little 3 year old daughter.

I get the impression that we have alot of experiened parents here, and was wondering if any of you ever had a situation lilke this.

Yesterday, my 3 year old daughter managed to put a quarter in her mouth. My wife and her brother noticed my daughter choking and gasping for air. At that time, my Brother in law made every attempt to dislodge the quarter, but instead of coming out, my daughter swallowed the quarter.
I ran home from work, and rushed her to emergency. The resident gastro suggested we remove the quarter with an edoscopy, my daughter's pediatrician is absolutely against it. He says that more damage could be done with the procedure, than the actual passing of the quarter.

My wife and I are torn and a nervous wreck.

Do you know of any 3 year that actually passed a quarter through a bowel movement? Is this possible in such a small body? (31 lbs)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,645 Posts
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to send some good thoughts for your daughter. Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
Oh no!

I'm sure she'll be able to pass it. It might hurt, but she should be able to. Why don't you cross post this in the Odds & Ends section here. Lots of parents over there, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,802 Posts
Yeah, I would recommend cross posting in O&E.

As for the originial question...Did you ask how long to expect her to take to pass it? Maybe you could take a wait and see attitude for a day or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,812 Posts
I'm sorry. My niece swallowed a coin once, but I don't remember what it was. The Dr. had her go in several times for x-rays to follow the path of the coin. She had no problem passing it. But, I don't know if a small coin like a dime would make a difference over a larger quarter. Hope your daughter will be ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh, it's the dime vs the quarter that concerns me.

I spoke to three different doctors this morning. 2 of them, I happen to know on a personal level. They all suggested that I NOT do a procedure. They feel she will pass it.

I'll cross post, too.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I would just check her poop for several days. I bet she will pass it. I once found a nickel in a diaper of my two year old. I never knew he had swallowed it, so never had the worry. My guess is that it will pass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
My friend's daughter swallowed a penny. they had to look through her poop until it finally came out. my friend is a nurse and she was not concerned at all.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top