Just Labradors banner

Opinions requested

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Dexter Dogg 
#1 ·
I have been walking the pups in the same DP for well over a year !

Dylan will run up to people because he loves people ! He doesn't jump up against them but he will touch their hands with his nose.

Recently ( since we have been walking in the dark so it has been quite a few months ) somebody has been crossing the dog park - jogging or such like at about the same time, and Dylan has run up to him to check him out.

No serious problems - I always call Dylan and he eventually returns when he is satisfied ( Don't know what that constitutes )

So last Thursday he runs up to the man , and man tells me to keep my dogs under control !

What would you do ? It's bothering me a lot ?

#2 ·
I don't know.i guess being a DP the dogs are supposed to run loose.the jogger should know that any dog is going to chase after him,it's only instinct.the only option is to keep Dylan on a leed or change the time that you go to the park.personally i believe the jogger needs to run elsewhere.maybe just working on Dylans recall will help.I don't see where your in the wrong.sorry i guess i'm not much help.

#5 ·
Are there any rules for that area? Are dogs allowed to run offleash?

If they are, then I think the jogger is wrong BUT, with an attitude such as he's shown, your Lab may not be safe around him. You could keep your eyes open for him and, when you first spot him, call Dylan to leash him until the jogger disappears.

#6 · (Edited)
In the block below the last post where it says "Reply to Thread" that wording was inexplicably changed to "Thread Closed"

I made this post to see if it woulod be accepted. It was, Justine tried and couldn't post.

Ari or Nate removed the "Thread Closed" status and notice.

I havent the foggiest how or why it got put on even temporarily.

#7 ·
Most dogs love to chase joggers and runners. When I'm walking my dogs and joggers come around, they are smart enough to just walk by the dogs and pick up the jog further on. Some joggers carry dog biscuits to distract chasing dogs. Maybe the guy was attacked by dogs in the past. Tell him that Dylan will not jump on him and will not bite.

#8 ·
So you need to work on recall a little, but you seem okay with adjusting your time frame to avoid the runner. That is another good option, but working on the recall wouldn't be a bad idea.

I am curious about the rules at that park. You said it was a dog park, but its not fenced? That is a strange combination here. On of our bigger parks here is not fenced. Primarily because it is really off in the woods, and the parking area which is the closest spost to any road is probably over 100 yards from it. We occassionally have someone there without a dog, a jogger or a horse rider. The horse rider basically gets told that they have 100 acres on the other side of the road for horse activities, we pick up after our dogs and would appreciate it if they would pick up after their horses if they insist on being at the dog park. That usually takes care of the horse peeps. The joggers don't seem to mind the dogs, and if they do we simply refer them to the signs.

#9 ·
. I always feel unsettled when someone tell me to keep my dogs under control. I think they are under control..Some people just don't like dogs. If it had been a kid he may have disliked the kid too.
For my own peace of mind I think I would try and go at a slightly earlier or later time and if you think Dylan could do with a little more recall then try that.

or you could maybe one day stop and talk to the guy. Apologise and ask why your dog is such a bother and you will see to it.

Don't let it bother you.

#10 ·
I wouldn't feel bad at all. In an area where dogs are allowed to be off-leash people should expect dogs to be off-leash. If the jogger doesn't want to be around dogs, he should jog somewhere else.

#11 ·
Thanks for the input y'all

I'm going out at 0630 instead of 0645 to avoid the miserable git !

It's a public park so all have a right to it - not just the dogs and as for Dylan's recall it's great unless he sees a food opportunity aka people ( It's amazing how many people walk their dogs with treats in their pockets ! Dylan can tell from 100 yards ) or one of his dog buddies !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.