Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to always have my dogs on Nutro, but when I got Jo, he didnt do well on this like my yellow and my golden.....I tried a few different foods and what he does best on is Diamond Natural Senior diet with the oatmeal (allergy boy with goopy eyes)...

I've been scoping out the new Eukanuba Wild and was wondering your opinions on this.....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it ain't broke, why fix it? Diamond naturals is a good food line.

That's what my husband thinks too... I just wondered if it was better...I've liked your advice on the food you use, but we dont have any in our area... So, I'm kind of always looking for something else...(I know dogs dont get bored with their good, so its probably just me :eek:)...Thanks Bob...

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
What Bob said. Feed what works for your dogs, no matter how expensive it is or isn't. If Bob Jo's Cheap Crack works, then feed that! If your dogs are healthy, eat the food, and have good, firm poops, they are on the right food for them, no matter the brand or ingredients.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
That's what my husband thinks too... I just wondered if it was better...I've liked your advice on the food you use, but we dont have any in our area... So, I'm kind of always looking for something else...(I know dogs dont get bored with their good, so its probably just me :eek:)...Thanks Bob...
Assuming BobPr said something about Costco's Kirkland Signature Chicken or Lamb and Rice. These are both made by Diamond and very similar to the Diamond Naturals.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I'm always a believer in, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I changed food last week and egads, what a nightmare. Went back to the food I was feeding and it cleared right up again.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I changed food last week and egads, what a nightmare.
What did you try, Laura?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was feeing my puppy Puppy Chow until she was 5 months old. When I started taking her to daycare the people that worked there told me Puppy Chow is bad for dogs. They recommended Natural Balance Ultra Formula, so I have been feeding her that ever since. I did try to feed her B.G. (Before Grain) brand food, but she didn't seem to like it. She likes the Natural Balance, has anyone heard anything about this food?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I'm of a bit of a different mentality. I have observed through my own experiences and that of others that sometimes it appears a food is working well for a dog, only to find out later that it really isn't, in many ways.

I firmly believe that you should be feeding your dog the highest quality food you can afford. Within that sweeping generalization there is some room for trying different things/brands/etc, and keep in mind that sometimes a transition period is necessary. My dogs took a bit of time to adapt to their current diet, but in terms of the big picture, it's what works best for them, really and truly in every way possible. ;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I firmly believe that you should be feeding your dog the highest quality food you can afford.
And when that crazy expensive food does nothing but cause your dog to have exposive diarrhea, you get out the hose and clean it up with a smile... by golly, you're feeding "the best", that one website said so!! :rolleyes:

I can afford to feed anything on the market (and have tried the majority of it), but I choose to feed what I do because of the results I get.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Ditto what Ed said -- the company that makes Diamond Naturals also makes the Kirkland dog foods for Costco and those two are like fraternal twins -- almost identical.

A problem some have had with Nutro foods is that they have a long reputation for periodically changing their formulas for a given food line without letting anyone know -- and sometimes denying it.

Nutro was bought roughly a year or more ago by the Mars family (of candy and Pedigree, Sheba, Whiskas pet food fame). (Will ETA when I can track down the brand names.) However, more than 6 months after that, I've seen several complaints on this forum about reactions to their foods so perhaps the change in ownership has not meant that much of a change.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
And when that crazy expensive food does nothing but cause your dog to have exposive diarrhea, you get out the hose and clean it up with a smile... by golly, you're feeding "the best", that one website said so!! :rolleyes:
Well if it gives them explosive diarrhea then it either a)wasn't a food that worked for them or b)transition time wasn't sufficient. ;)

And it certainly isn't about one website, or one person's opinion. It's about researching (using many respected sources) what is ideal for the lifetime of the canine and finding a food that best matches that ideal while keeping in mind that each individual dog is different and do better on some foods over others. Always remembering that a dog "doing well on food" is sometimes very, VERY subjective and not reflective of the dogs current (or future) state of health at all.

I think there's more than enough variety in terms of quality dog foods to find one that works well for 99.9% of dogs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
exceed brand

I have always assumed that sams club exceed dog food is manufactured by someone else but have never been able to find out who makes it. Does anyone know who makes it. I use a yellow bag that is 30% protien and 20% Fat with chicken as the first ingrediant listed.

Thanks

Scutter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts