Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promise, you guys are going to LOVE this one!

http://www.zillow.com

You can put in an address and it will take you to an aerial map showing the neighborhood, and all the houses are labeled with an estimated value! ;D

G

·
dweck said:
Holey Moley! In the 17 yrs we've owned our home, it's appreciated $150,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont want to bust a bubble, but this site is good and bad. That number they are giving you are not taking in account the market. And also I have seen where this number is way off. Sorry, just didnt want anyone to get their hopes up.

G

·
Houses are so much higher on the east coast and west coast. I'm glad I live where I can get a 4 bedroom house under 200,000!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Tater said:
dweck said:
Holey Moley! In the 17 yrs we've owned our home, it's appreciated $150,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont want to bust a bubble, but this site is good and bad. That number they are giving you are not taking in account the market. And also I have seen where this number is way off. Sorry, just didnt want anyone to get their hopes up.
<<puts phone down from calling Lexus dealer>>

G

·
JollyMolly said:
Houses are so much higher on the east coast and west coast. I'm glad I live where I can get a 4 bedroom house under 200,000!
We are looking for a three bedroom and most of them are in the 200's. New neighborhood down the road is starting at 300. We can not find anything new that is under 250. Its sad.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Cool site, although I'm taking it with a grain of salt. And hoping my house is worth a bit more than their estimate. ;D

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I said it was fun, I didn't make any claims of accuracy. ;)

Here's an interesting "for instance"...

There is a house in our neighborhood a few streets away that is the twin of our house. Identical in every way. But our house is 1,000 times better-looking. Oh, seriously. We have made tons of improvements to our house, cosmetic and otherwise. The other house is pretty much exactly what ours was when we moved in, fourteen years ago. No one has done that first thing.

And YET, that house is estimated at $15K more than ours!

Not sure what's up with that :) I think it may have something to do with the fact that we got ours for a steal and a half.

Anyway, using this site as a rough guideline, I feel encouraged that we can get more for our house than I initially thought.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
The value is right on target on our house (no pic though)

and right on target on sister's house (and the pic of her house actually shows!) :eek:

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Kewl!! Wonder if they have one for Canada??

·
Registered
282 Posts
No info for my zip either. I'd love to figure out what our place is worth now. We're pretty sure we've at least doubled our money since buying it 3.5 yrs ago.... got a VERY good deal. It was also one that had been repossesed. Even the realtor we used still talks about our purchase. ;D And she also comliments us every time about the improvements we made. Some people can't believe it's the same house! Amazing what a little paint can do. ;)

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
It's right on target for my house. I can see the pic of my house, and I know about when it was taken because the pool isn't there yet. It is crazy where I am (southern California). Our house has gone up over $300,000 in 3 years. I just pretend that it's worth what we paid for it. As long as it doesn't drop below that, I'm happy.

Connie, I wanted to add that the house next to ours which is smaller and no pool shows up as worth more than ours. I'm pretty sure it's because it was sold recently for a high price and that gets updated in some file somewhere, and ours has never been sold (other than to us) so not updated anywhere. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
We have been here for 6 years and the cost of our home doubled :eek: Holy cow!

Very cool site, Connie Thanks :)

The values for the homes here are about 150k less than what they are actually selling for. Our neighbors moved in last year and paid 535k for theirs and it is showing up as 342k. But my inlaws house is accurate and so is my sister's neighborhood.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, you guys have it made! Our house has not appreciated much at all. Maybe 50% of what we paid? That doesn't seem like a lot for thirteen years. :-\

We have the least expensive house in the entire neighborhood, according to this site. It's funny, because I don't think anyone would argue, it's one of the most attractive houses in the neighborhood. Maybe that will help us. I bet it's safe to say I have $10,000 in landscaping out there. I know you don't get that kind of thing back in a purchase price, but we have a lot of "curb appeal." :)

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I've looked at this before and found it to be fairly innacurate for our area. According to the website, our house, which is 400 square feet larger than our next door neighbor's house and has about 50% more useable lot size is worth $20,000 less than our neighbor's. We're both original owners so it doesn't have anything to do with resales. It's just plain inaccurate. But it's fun to look in people's backyards. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts