Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's our fault really. She got into the laundry while we were at work yesterday, broke into her food bin and gorged herself! She's been pooping and farting for 24 hours and is a big stinky with a sore bum!

Usually the laundry door is always closed (it's external) and Dave forgot to shut it before he left for work today. Thank goodness she did not have a full kibble bin and it was just under 1/4 full.... I have no idea how much she ate but her tummy was bloated all night and she kept giving us elephant ears / embarrassed / omg was that ME?!? looks everytime her bottom made more noise.

A dog with a sensitive stomach goes nuts on her food for who knows how many hours we were at work (4-ish hours) ..... hooley dooley!! *shakes head*

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Welcome to the real world! :D Get one of those bins with a locking lid so she can't get into it. I hauled my Pug's fat arse out of a 20kg bag of dog food one day. God knows how much he ate before I caught him but he didn't get fed that night. Now I can leave the pantry door open safe in the knowledge that he can't get into it. Poor sod sits there looking at it like he wants to cry. :D

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
either that or teach Dave to close the door? hehe... I think he has learnt his lesson.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Poor Milly, hope her tummy feels better real soon- Poor Mom and Dad having to live through the smell:D I'm with Garth they make some wonderful airtight containers that are pretty much pup proof and keeps the kibble real fresh. Hope she is all better for everyone's sake real soon:)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Oops, poor Milly! I wonder if she has any regrets. I bet not. :D

We got a free food bin from Eukanuba back when we used to feed that, and it's great. It has a lid and two handles that flip up and over the top of the lid to hold it down. They're quite stiff, I don't think there's any way the dogs would be able to get it open. They haven't succeeded yet anyway, and it's right there in the kitchen taunting them all day.

Back when my in-laws lived on a farm, they used self-feeders for the sheepdogs who lived out the back. The self-feeders were an ingenious invention by my FIL, created out of a length of pipe, maybe about 1.5m long and 20cm diameter. The bottom of the pipe had a curve like a u-bend. Food was poured in the top of the pipe and the weight of this would push the food up into the u-bend and the dogs could eat as much as they liked from there. Not being labradors, they only ate as much as they needed at a time. Of course, whenever we went to visit, the first thing the labradors would do was run out the back and start gorging themselves on the self-feeders. Goodness only knows how much they ate before we caught them.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Millys food bin is a cool Hills SD one. The lid is very stiff and hard to get open... she WORKED HER BUTT OFF to get it open. You can tell by the chew marks. Somehow she managed it though. I'm amazed! I definitely think a lockable one is something we'll have to think about.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or put it up high? My SIL leaves the dog food on top of the dryer.
Might have to get David to make a shelf or something. Everything needs to be at chest height or higher otherwise Milly thinks that she can have it!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
either that or teach Dave to close the door? hehe... I think he has learnt his lesson.
hehe I've found training dogs to be easier than training men ;)

We have this for Jake's food (he's also popped a top off once of twice in his day before we got these)
Vittles Vault

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Had to laugh at the term "elephant ears"! Never heard that term before but I know exactly the look you're describing!

Well, I hope you made it through the night without too many trips outside!:eek:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Oooh Milly! I hope she's feeling less bloated and stinky soon!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Kind of a cute story Sarah, thanks for sharing! I hope Ms. Milly is feeling less farty, and stinky today!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Milly,

Dis yer chocolate fren' Toby. I tried ta be sneaky an get into my food, too, but me thinks yer much better dan me!!! I had bum-toot stink bombs befor an momma told me she wuz gonna put tape on my butt if I din't stop soon!!! I kept lookin at my butt an got confused...!! :p Feel better, fren and next time, don't eat so much!

Your fren,
Toby

P.S. Abbey an Sylvester say "woof" and "meow" :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts