Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Im trying to get as many people who use online discussion forums to answer questions for my final year psychology dissertation! The aim is to create a model of interpersonal trust. So if your interested check out the following link will take all of 3-5 minutes just ticking boxes.

Two Requirements!

Your female
You have made friends via forums

Heres the link http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=pGxbOvSA2p2tBnEBLHBhXA_3d_3d

Will be eternally grateful!!

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Not sure what puts me off more: The bad spelling. Or the sexism. And from a neophyte, no less. Now the link is suspect, too, imho, from a spam/virus standpoint.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Now the link is suspect, too, imho, from a spam/virus standpoint.
That was my first thought when I clicked on the link. I couldn't close it fast enough. :gum:

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
sure! anything to help with a college edumacashun. how about a quarter so you can buy an apostrophe?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
dweck said:
Not sure what puts me off more: The bad spelling. Or the sexism. And from a neophyte, no less. Now the link is suspect, too, imho, from a spam/virus standpoint.
What specifically do you see as sexist? I'm not seeing it. Do you mean that because she only wants female responses that is sexist? If her study is about women forming bonds online - then she only needs women.

Please clarify.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Jinx said:
sure! anything to help with a college edumacashun. how about a quarter so you can buy an apostrophe?
Kelli, I believe they only charge for vowels. Apostrophes and ampersands are free.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
pbc said:
Jinx said:
Kelli, I believe they only charge for vowels. Apostrophes and ampersands are free.
gotcha! i'll give her a quarter for the "e" then and throw in the apostrophe for free.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
BigBrownDog said:
kiddsmom said:
Our company has used Surveymonkey website for their questionnaires.
+2 - all the time.
+3 here.

(forgot to add that I was more than happy to fill our your survey this morning. Good Luck!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wrote a dissertation for my doctoral degree in Psychology. I am pretty sure if one doesn't know the difference between the "yours", it's impossible to write a dissertation. Hardest thing I've ever done in my life. So glad it's finished and hardbound on my bookshelf!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I wrote a dissertation for my doctoral degree in Psychology. I am pretty sure if one doesn't know the difference between the "yours", it's impossible to write a dissertation. Hardest thing I've ever done in my life. So glad it's finished and hardbound on my bookshelf!
I've also done a dissertation for a PhD in psych and have to disagree. Here's why:

I think Aideen, the OP, is legitimate.

She's in an Irish university which has different requirements and different words for those requirements than US/Canadian universities and the survey states it's for the dissertation of her senior year.

I doubt very much that this is a student working on her doctorate -- instead, I think she's an undergraduate working to get a Bachelor's in psychology and she's in her senior year of that program.

While some university departments with such requirements might call it a "senior year thesis" or a "senior year paper," her's apparently calls it a senior year dissertation.

And I think many college students in their early 20s now write using the sound of words far more than being strict about the proper spelling (maybe a carryover from much texting?).

And, I scanned the entire questionnaire and it seemed very legitimate to me and about as sophisticated and scientific as you might expect from a young girl entering the final semester of her senior year. (And I didn't see any grammatical errors in the survey.)

I see no evidence that this is from a troll so, if you want to help a young girl finish her senior year project and generate the material for her major professor to critique her on and point out how she could have improved it, I think you can complete her survey without misgivings.

If you don't help her, she'll have less data but maybe enough others will respond that she can do a little analysis on what she does get. Or maybe her professor can try to help her examine what factors led to such a poor number of responders?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
After arguing (above) that there are nationality differences in word usage, I wondered if I could easily find good evidence for that so I looked up dissertation in both British and US online dictionaries. I think I found it.

Here's the Merriam-Webster (American) entry:

dissertation,

noun: an extended usually written treatment of a subject ; specifically : one submitted for a doctorate

And here's the Oxford English dictionary (British) entry:

dissertation • noun: a long essay, especially one written for a university degree or diploma.

— ORIGIN Latin, from dissertare ‘continue to discuss’.

That difference is good enough for me.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
i would, but i hate everyone here.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Bob Pr. said:
And I think many college students in their early 20s now write using the sound of words far more than being strict about the proper spelling (maybe a carryover from much texting?).
I agree. I'm in that college kids group but I am one of the few that considers myself a complete grammar and spelling nut.. Generally I write out all of the full words with capitalization and apostrophes even in my text messages. :nerd:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Generally I write out all of the full words with capitalization and apostrophes even in my text messages.
Me, too. But I'm 40. :gum:

So it's legit? I'll play. :happy:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Psssst, I'm sorry, but what is a charlatan? Is that like a troll? :embarrass:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts