Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abbey has food allergies.. I'm *pretty* sure that it's some grains and some meats, but I know it's not all of them... so I have decided to start the "find what Abbey's allergic to" game. Obviously it's going to take a while, but really I'm just trying to find something that really, really works for her.

She's been on TOTW (High Prairie formula) for a couple of bags now and she's done great on it, but she's grown bored of it. She's actually GAINED 4 lbs on this food, but I really think it's in part of Toby, who makes sure she gets every last piece of kibble. ;)

Anyways, I know that there are a bunch of brands that make foods with one protein and one carb.. I just don't know which ones to try next!

I've got a bag of the Wellness Simple Food Solutions Rice and Duck that I'm going to try once I switch her. Any other recommendations??

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I don't know if it's one carb/one protein, but I feed Innova Evo Large Bites which is a low carb/no grain food and my dogs do great on it - it's a little pricey, but you don't have to feed that much of it. If your dog is doing well on the food you are feeding, I might not worry if she of "bored" with it. She'll eat if she's hungry. Also , just make sure you aren't feeding too much of it - if its a high quality, no grain food, you don't feed as much - my 110 lbs boy just gets 2 cups a day.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Spud has IBD and needs one protein/one carb food. He has been on Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato for about a year now....and not one single flare-up or problem at all.

But that's all he gets....just the kibble. We use the kibble for treats and everything.

A couple of months ago, we started giving him canned salmon, and that worked fine also. But I think that was because salmon is the one protein in the food. So it wasn't introducing anything new to his system.

Natural Balance has several grain-free, one protein/one carb foods. Good luck. Coping with the allergies can be a real pain!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
on an elimination diet don't worry about bored of the food - the idea is to stick with the same protein carb source until and unless there is a problem in which case you need to switch

if it's working don't mess with it IMHO

·
Registered
806 Posts
If she's doing well on the current food and you know she has issues with others, I wouldn't think of switching...youll just create a picky dog, which it sounds like you already have the beginnings of one ;) If she's gained weight, you're feeding too much. Try cutting back quite a bit (for now), up the exercise and only leave the food down for a short period~10 min. I personally don't wait nearly that long- I'm mean and I don't want to have to guard a bowl from the others! She'll eat when she's hungry.

·
Registered
629 Posts
We tried the Wellness simple solutions with Jenica for he same reasons and she did not too bad on it physically, but getting her to eat was a definite challenge. She hated to eat it and would skip meals, or just eat the bare minimum she needed. This went for a few weeks and to a point where she was loosing her energy so that we finally tried something else with her. Her energy came back quickly and she seemed a lot happier, but we are still fighting her allergies.
So, if Abbey is doing well on her current food I would keep her on it and slowly introduce other items and see how she does with them, instead of switching her to a completely new food.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I don't know if it's one carb/one protein, but I feed Innova Evo Large Bites which is a low carb/no grain food and my dogs do great on it - it's a little pricey, but you don't have to feed that much of it. If your dog is doing well on the food you are feeding, I might not worry if she of "bored" with it. She'll eat if she's hungry. Also , just make sure you aren't feeding too much of it - if its a high quality, no grain food, you don't feed as much - my 110 lbs boy just gets 2 cups a day.
We feed the TOTW Pacific Stream. Buddy, at 80 pounds, gets two scant cups a day. Champ, at 107 pounds, get three scant cups a day. Bill had been giving them heaping cups, but I've asked him not to since the vet wants them wach to lose a few pounds.

note: A 'scant' cup means just barely full, not heaping or mounded up.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
She's been on TOTW (High Prairie formula) for a couple of bags now and she's done great on it, but she's grown bored of it. She's actually GAINED 4 lbs on this food, but I really think it's in part of Toby, who makes sure she gets every last piece of kibble
I don't understand -- how does she act when she's "bored of it"? If she's not eating it all at once, why not accept that and pick up the remainder and give her less next time?

When you switched from the previous food to TOTW, did you adjust her quantity of new food to keep the same number of kcals (kcalories) as the old food? If not, that may explain the "bored" reaction and the weight gain.

What was the previous food you were feeding?

Maybe "bored" = "I'm full"/"have had enough"/"burp"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts