Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks --

Can anyone tell me how you know if your puppy is losing teeth, and when it should normally occur? Do they lose the front ones first, and the back ones later, like humans, or what? I had expected to see puppy teeth laying on the floor, and "gaps" in my pup's mouth, but thus far have seen nothing of the sort. She is 20 weeks now; should she have been losing teeth by now, and if not, when and how does this normally occur?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Mine started about 4-5 months (16-20 weeks). I never saw any teeth laying around, and didn't see gaps in his mouth or anything. I don't know whether the front or back drop out first. All I know is that by 6 mos., they were all gone, and it was like night and day...the puppy nipping stopped completely! Hooray! :)

One thing he seemed to like during the time he was losing teeth.....I wet a washcloth, wrung it some (twisted it), threw it in the freezer, and gave it to him to gnaw on. You can re-wet/wring again, and throw it back into the freezer 'til next time. Also ice cubes...mine's always liked 'em (still does), and they helped during that time, too.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
i think theo's started around 4-5 mos too. i can't remember which fell out first though. i first noticed a few small blood spots on some of his toys and so i checked his mouth and sure enough his permanents were coming in. this continued for a month or so and by 6 mos he had his permanent pearly whites in.

i was lucky enough to find a few puppy teeth, however it seems like most of the time people don't find any at all.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Someone once told me that labs tend to swallow their teeth!!

I never saw a tooth.. but i diligently looked in his mouth every day and would see small gaps. Also, Mar started hesitating at breakfast time cause the food was too hard and it hurt his little mouth. So, I put some warm water on it to soften it up.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I concur with around 5 months..

the way I noticed was that all of a sudden Peanut would look like she was chewing, and she hadn't eaten anything....

If I acted at that moment I could open her mouth and grab the tooth before she swallowed it, but 2 seconds later and it was too late! :D

I remember clearly that the canines were the very last to come in (she actually had baby and adult canines at the same time for awhile, which worried me, but the vet said to just wait it out, and eventually the baby ones fell out.)

hope that helps!

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Mya started right at 4 months. Lost all the little front ones then the back ones pushed out. I could be wrong, but it seemed to me her "fangs" were the last to come in. I was so excited, I bet she got tired of me checking her mouth at least two times a day! ;D

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hmm, Gabby brought me her's. She's a little weirdo. I think Maverick swallowed his- I actually have no idea as to when he lost his.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You will find them when you step on them! :'(
Donna I used to use the frozen washcloth method, but I would get worried that Oona would swallow some of the stringy parts of the fabric and I searched for another possibility. I used fleece paint rollers from the hardware store. Again get them soaking wet and freeze them. They work great.
Olie

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I think Brigetta started losing her teeth around 16 weeks. I didn't find all of them, but I would find one near her crate, on one of her toys, I even found one on a piece of my clothing. Her adult teeth grew in pretty fast. I always had a lot of nylabones around for her to chew on and this thing called a chilly bone that you wet and freeze.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone for the info!

I'll pay a bit closer attention to Misty's mouth and see what I can see!

I have occasionally done the ice, or the twisted-up-icy-washcloth thing, but I'll increase those if it appears she is losing some teeth!

Steve

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ernie just started losing them in the last couple of weeks and he is 4 1/2 months old. We have yet to find one of the baby teeth but he still has a few left so who knows. I give him lots of frozen wash cloths and ice cubes as well.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.

It looks to me like Misty has lost the 4 small front teeth on the bottom, and the 4 on the top. They look "bigger" than they were before. As for the canines, I think those are still her "puppy" canines. I can't tell with the back teeth...

Steve

·
Registered
292 Posts
lola lost her teeth around 3-4 months. at first when she was playing with her toys they would have blood all over them i would check her mouth and i didn't see nothing. so a few day later i finally figured that it was her teeth falling out. i did end up finding one i kept it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I took Ranger in for his 4 month shots, my vet looked at his teeth. He said he was losing the baby ones and his adult teeth were coming in. He said he was right on schedule. So far I have not found any of Ranger's baby teeth. He likes to eat a lot of things, so he is probably eating them! ;D

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just FYI --

I can tell that Misty lost the 8 small teeth (4 on top, 4 on bottom) in the front of her mouth -- they are bigger now, though I never noticed any of them missing. However, yesterday, I looked in her mouth, and she has 3 large teeth missing on the lower right side (the canine, and two of the large chewing teeth in the back). I have never found them, but there are clearly missing teeth, with new ones starting to show through the gums. For what it is worth, she is 22 weeks old.

Thanks everyone --

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts