Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG, Zoey is killing robins..and eating them

I was out in the back, starting my lawn mower for the first time since last fall, and I saw Zoey sneeking up on a robin that was hopping and pecking for food on the lawn. I figgured that the bird would fly away when Zoey got too close, but she pounced on it like a cat and ate it! By the time I shut the mower off and ran over to her, only the long tail feathers were left :eek:. Merlot was looking on with an amused expression on his face, but didn't seem to want any part of it. I started up the mower again, and as I was mowing I found five more bird tail feathers scattered around the yard. I guess I have two questions, can eating birds be harmfull to her, and if so, is there a way to discourage her from doing this ???

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Re: OMG, Zoey is killing robins..and eating them

I don't think it will hurt him. Moose has eaten 2 over the last couple of years. Needless to say they don't hang around much when the dogs are in the yard :p

·
Registered
7,913 Posts

Poor Robin. They are such pretty birds. :(

In answer to your question, no, they won't hurt her. As gross as it is, freshly caught prey is probably the best thing you can feed your dog. Think of it as an all natural snack. ;)

·
Registered
5,727 Posts

LOL.........he's a bird dog. That's what they do. In fact why discourage him......in reality he won't catch very many.

It won't hurt to eat one now and then. Of course if he actually went hunting you wouldn't want to be teaching him to eat birds.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well, I 'm glad to hear they aren't harmfull to her. Maybe that explains why she hasn't been eating all her kibbles lately. :p

·
Registered
10,664 Posts

You need faster Robins!

·
Registered
557 Posts

LOL! She must be fast, Bandit trys but never succeeds

·
Registered
13,529 Posts

LOL!! I'm so sorry, but I have to totally laugh, as Abby does the same thing!! I am absolutely mortified (I'd rather she eat the starlings frankly and leave the robins well alone) but she thinks it's the best past time ever!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts

Karina, Abbzilla is a Robin eater?! :eek:
LOL!!!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts

jzgrlduff said:
Karina, Abbzilla is a Robin eater?! :eek:
LOL!!!
Omg yes, Amy - she came in the other morning with feathers stuck to her mouth still.... I found the remains in the yard 2 minutes later. Poor birds..............

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

BrownDog20 said:
LOL! She must be fast, Bandit trys but never succeeds
Yes, she is! I thought Merlot was fast, but Zoey runs like a greyhound! She runs circles around Merlot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts