Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it had only happened on one or two retrieves I'd say it was a fluke. But for the last two retrieve sessions, Flynn has been insistent upon a new thing. Usually when he brings the ball back he'll leave it on command but sort of willy-nilly wherever he feels like it within a couple of feet of me.

Now he wants to keep it latched in his mouth until I remove it from his grasp. He offers it to me in his mouth, he wants me to take it, and he happily releases it once he knows I've got it firmly in my hand.

This is fine with me as I don't have to wander around after a rolling t/b. I just wonder where or how he picked this up? Seamus always drops the ball right at my feet. I mean, right at my feet, so he didn't learn it from Shea.

I think it's pretty cool.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I think you unknowingly conditioned him to do it. Somehow...you reinforced for him that he gets more retrieves or better retrieves or you give him some kind of reinforcement for plaing it in your hand.

Good boy!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Shadow learned that if she didn't put the ball or Frisbee in my hand, it didn't get thrown again. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mischa will drop the ball at my feet, but if I say "in my hand", she will pick it up and put it in my hand.
Good to be able to do both as sometimes, I really don't want whatever she is retrieving put in my hand :p

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
It IS pretty cool! Actually, it's VERY cool!

Will you send him down here to teach Angus that? I am sweating how I'm going to get Angus to do that very thing when he goes to Open. This is the exact thing people use the ear pinch method to achieve - and I am dead set on avoiding pinching any ears! How in the world did he just start DOING it? ??? I would love to know!! :D

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Try teaching him "give" when he has something in his mouth. Then when he's learned that, as he approaches you with a retrieve tell him "give." Huge praise when he does it right and immediately throw for another.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AngusFangus said:
It IS pretty cool! Actually, it's VERY cool!

Will you send him down here to teach Angus that? I am sweating how I'm going to get Angus to do that very thing when he goes to Open. This is the exact thing people use the ear pinch method to achieve - and I am dead set on avoiding pinching any ears! How in the world did he just start DOING it? ??? I would love to know!! :D
Connie, I honestly don't know how he learned this. Paddy used to retrieve to hand but he doesn't retrieve anymore.

I really think it's just something he came to on his own. As someone posted, maybe I was giving some signals for better retrieves, but no. I know our routine

Flynn came upon this by himself. I give him huge "beagle points" for problem solving. Beagles are masters at problem solving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts