Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had a reaction to dog dander/hair if I rubbed my eyes after touching them. So....I just don't touch my eyes if I've played with them, it WAS that simple.

Appears things have changed a bit....I can't be in "their" bedroom w/o getting a reaction! Of course that is where there is a higher concentration of their hair/dander since their beds are there. My eyes get itchy (my office and their bedroom are one and the same), then turn red and then feel as if there are hairs cutting through them!

I used an eyewash and went into the kitchen, all three furkids followed, but that is a much bigger and open space and I had no problem. Hmmmmm...could this be a temporary problem or do I need to move my office to another space???

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Get some allergy eye drops. They work great. Alamay or the generic form. And vac more often or wash their beds more often. Well, have SU do it for ya. It might also be because of spring and it is just adding to it.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Go see a Dr. and get some meds to surpress the reaction. Either that or the dogs are going to have to kick you out.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Good luck, the dogs would be really sad if they had to rehome you.:rolleyes:

If it don't get better see if a Dr. can help.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I agree with the allergy doc advice (they will probably want to start you on shots weekly - be forewarned) - but there are things you can do to minimize it in your environment. Wash their bed covers weekly, do have them sleep elsewhere in a space you spend less time in, you 'can' get them groomed with Allerpet which should reduce some of the dander. Don't let 'em lick you as the saliva is often what you react to. I'd put an air cleaner in a couple of rooms too. Allergy eye drops are good for eye reaction (and a saline eye wash will give you some immediate relief when you are reacting). You have pretty much the same kind of reaction that I have to puppies, cats and horses - this contact nonsense.

Zyrtec is available over the counter and works pretty good.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm hoping it's due to the severe allergy season many here are experiencing this year. I am not a fan of prescription or OTC drugs, including allergy shots unless it is absolutely the last resort or there is respiratory distress but certainly use an eyewash whenever necessary.

More dog bed washing....an absolute necessity...but at the laundromat...not in my home machine...nope, never again! It took forever to clean out the hairs in the machine.

The eyewash I did earlier seems to have helped, some Benedryl in a few and I should be good to go!! Note to self: REMOVE mascara BEFORE rubbing the heck out of itchy eyes!! LOL

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Good luck, the dogs would be really sad if they had to rehome you.
Well if it absolutely necessary, I guess she should be re-homed. I just hope the dogs try everything they can before taking this extreme measure.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I'm hoping it's due to the severe allergy season many here are experiencing this year. I am not a fan of prescription or OTC drugs, including allergy shots unless it is absolutely the last resort or there is respiratory distress but certainly use an eyewash whenever necessary.

More dog bed washing....an absolute necessity...but at the laundromat...not in my home machine...nope, never again! It took forever to clean out the hairs in the machine.

The eyewash I did earlier seems to have helped, some Benedryl in a few and I should be good to go!! Note to self: REMOVE mascara BEFORE rubbing the heck out of itchy eyes!! LOL
If you are taking Benedryl - Zyrtec works better and won't knock you out to that degree. They are both antihistimines.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Your allegies might be worse just because it's spring and they're flaired up anyways. But it sounds like you're fairly allergic to them. I think that I'd move my office - if you want the dogs with you, move it to an open space in the house. I wouldn't want to have to drug myself up and use eye meds just so I could work in my office with the dogs, especially if you're fairly good with them somewhere more open.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
If you vacuum the beds before you wash them, there won't be so much hair in the washer and dryer. I do that all the time, specially with Champ's bed, because he is shedding so heavily right now.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I'm allergic to the dogs, the horse and hay (among other things). If you have carpet, rip it out. You can still co-exist but yes sometimes it's hard. Putting up with daily nosebleeds can be a PITA, but I'm not getting rid of my animals.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Are you sure it is the allergy to dogs that is getting worse? Is there anything outside your office window that might be causing the flair up? My husband has horrible allergies, and right now he is at his worst. My husband's allergist told him recently that allergies can change every 7 years or so. You can pick up new allergies throughout your life, and when you do they last at least 7 years. There is something about the 7 year mark that makes your body start getting immune to some allergens (doesn't work with everything). Zyrtec will do the same thing as Benedryl, but won't make you tired. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Outside my office window...interesting thought, is a huge tree just coming into bloom, maybe that's aggravating the allergies, but nevertheless I'm still allergic to their dander/hair, and have been for a long time.

I will most definately move my office elsewhere if this keeps up, today seems better than yesterday so far but we'll see in an hour or so!!

I do have carpet in this room and in some of the bedrooms but no where else so I guess ripping it up would be a very good idea!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.