Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And an absolute abomination to the breed.

I could have wept.

In our beginner obed class.....

TWO SILVER LABS.

The poor boys. Husb and wife bought brother and brother.

The coloring is somewhat neat, I'll grant that. But the consistency of the coat is really bad. No wave. And no heartiness or character. It's like kitten fur. I can't imagine swimming in it. That bristly 2x coat feel is absent.

And the chest looks all.... wonky and wrong. One of them was pulling mom like a steam train (these boys are very rambunctious), and I got a full side view. It's........... weird. No barrel chest but more of a pointed sternum. Ick.

Worst of all: I was all upbeat and supportive "Oh, what an interesting dog..." etc. etc. I did not have the stones to ask what they paid, but I'll bet it was a pretty penny.

I did ask: What was a Lab bred to to create this?

Her reply stunned me:

"I don't know."

????

"The breeder wouldn't tell me."

***thud***

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
They got the pups from a breeder without any papers? What the smurf?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They got the pups from a breeder without any papers? What the smurf?
Apparently.

I had to bite my tongue HARD when she told me that they knew NOTHING AT ALL about 1/2 of the lineage.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I like Weims, but the dogs you describe aren't Weims.. or Labs. Poor babies.
=(

On the positive, at least they are in obed, a good sign that mom & dad will give them a good life, and care how they behave & socialize.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Don't call them horrid and ugly!! Poor things. A dog doesn't have to be full breed to be beautiful. :(

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Apparently.

I had to bite my tongue HARD when she told me that they knew NOTHING AT ALL about 1/2 of the lineage.
I don't know anything about Koda's lineage..

the problem with sticking your nose in when this sort of thing presents itself to you, it's hard to be informative w/o being condescending.. nobody likes some stranger telling them they're bad people with poor judgement.. which is how most people will take that.

Educating is important.. but judging is pointless.

Projecting the right one, is difficult when you're passionate about a topic.. and like kelli said.. it's a good sign that they're at least willing to take them to a class.. they obviously care about their dogs enough to recognize they need help and that's a good thing for those pups.

The only problem i have with Silver labs is the breeder who markets them as "special" and thus charges a whackload of money for them.. and that is no fault of the poor guy who got sucked in to the hype or the pup who was the result of someone wanting to make some quick money.

We've all fallen for the hype at some point...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
all I want to say about this subject is:

:p :D ;)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ithe problem with sticking your nose in when this sort of thing presents itself to you, it's hard to be informative w/o being condescending.. nobody likes some stranger telling them they're bad people with poor judgement.. which is how most people will take that.
From the OP:

I was all upbeat and supportive.
I express no opinions aloud to owner/handlers on the choices they make regarding breeds or individual dogs. I've helped train dogs I've fallen head-over-heels in love with. I've helped train dogs that I've secretly admitted I wouldn't own/handle/raise for a zillion dollars.

I am glad they're there. As long as they can get along in their homes, stay there forever and be cared for and loved, that's all I really care about.

TO MYSELF, I do hold opinions about what comes in. But to our students, it's all smiles and encouragement.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
There's a silver lab at my obedience classes, and the great thing is that my instructors wife has no class. All kinds of fun Labraweimer jokes fly and she is constantly telling these people they got ripped off. They laugh because they know, and that's why they are at obedience class because they bought a dog who was bred for anything but temperament.

But know what? They love their dogs the same way I love mine and you yours, so it makes me feel bad to hear you call them ugly.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
First time I saw one it was entered in obedience and I had no idea what the heck it was. I heard of silver "labs", never saw one. I got the show catalog and yup, it said Labrador Retriever. I hate saying it, but it was not an attractive dog.
I love dogs. Mutts, mixes, you name it..but this was not a purdy dog.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I guess I think if you want a lab, buy a lab if you want a weim, buy a weim. DON'T MIX the two! I loved my daughter's weim, and she was really beautiful, sweet etc. but she was pretty high strung.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
=(

On the positive, at least they are in obed, a good sign that mom & dad will give them a good life, and care how they behave & socialize.

I have nothing against any dog as long as they are taking care of well. and it is a good start.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I hope they got them as mutts and did not pay a huge price for them. They sound like they love their boys and that is all that matters. And yes Dan I will agree some dogs are "ugly" but most are very lovable and as you say that is all that matters. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think some of the 100 pound plus labs that are so stocky they can hardly move are far from cute. I look at the dogs that my Great Grandfather owned and worked as a Newfoundland fisherman and then some of the dogs in the show ring and shake my head. Those show dogs wouldn't survive 10 minutes hard work in the ocean.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I hope they got them as mutts and did not pay a huge price for them. They sound like they love their boys and that is all that matters. And yes Dan I will agree some dogs are "ugly" but most are very lovable and as you say that is all that matters. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think some of the 100 pound plus labs that are so stocky they can hardly move are far from cute. I look at the dogs that my Great Grandfather owned and worked as a Newfoundland fisherman and then some of the dogs in the show ring and shake my head. Those show dogs wouldn't survive 10 minutes hard work in the ocean.
See, this poster thinks my dogs are ugly, and it hurts my feelings. Think about it, before you post ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts